Resolved Corrupt boot logo?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by eyoungren, Jun 7, 2014.

1. eyoungren, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I swapped hard drives a couple of days ago and noticed this corruption when I boot. The logo is normal very briefly, but then goes to this.

It doesn't affect anything. Boot is normal and there are no other issues. If I boot from a different drive the logo is fine.

I've tried BootXChanger and that seems to do nothing. I have a good copy of the BootLogo.png in System>Library>CoreServices and the correct key linking to it in the com.apple.boot.plist file.

Anyone know how I can fix this. It's more annoying than anything (I don't reboot often) but I'd still like to solve it.

Attached Files:

2. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Idk, if I were you, I would back up all my valuable files, reformat and reinstall. That might be too much work though. I've never seen this before!

3. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, this is where I was a little dumb.

The drive I cloned to came from the dead iBook G4 1.33ghz. It already had an OS on it (Leopard). I used CCC, but I didn't reformat the drive before I started it.

So, I'm guessing it just cloned over everything that was modified. Both the old drive and the new drive check out. DW repaired stuff and permissions check out.

It's just this boot logo. I'm guessing it's down to some inexplicable difference between the iBook and my PowerBook. IDK. My son has my old drive in his Mac now. But I reformatted it before I used CCC. He's not having this issue, so I guess that was probably what I should have done.

The other thing, is that I had heard a few years back that there was something that needed to be installed when you made a LCD swap. I don't recall installing anything, but if I did maybe it didn't get cloned. OTOH, this is the ONLY issue I am having.

Just wierd.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try downloading and running the 10.5.8 Combo Updater. You can get it from here.

5. wts macrumors member

wts

If you've solved the problem with the combo updater then this info is only for future use although these tools are good to have in your system.

Try ONYX http://www.titanium.free.fr/

Try repair permissions with Apple's Disk Utility

I also have Macaroni running in the background all the time, it's a freebee these days http://www.atomicbird.com/about/mac-apps

Let us know if you solved the problem and how, a most interesting problem albeit not one i could live with for too long.

6. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

That worked, thanks!

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No problem. Can you make a SATA card recommendation in the other thread? I have no clue and most people will disagree with using a multi-head cable.