Corrupt CF Card

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by SOLLERBOY, Oct 30, 2010.

1. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

Hi, I recently bought a sandisk ultra 2 4gb cf card. I've been using it since sunday and hadn't filled it up. I normally attach the cam to my imac via usb to import into aperture 3 but yesterday I needed the raw file straight from the camera for a university project.

The method I use (usb) doesn't show the memory card on the desktop, the only place I can see it is in aperture and this is normal for me when using cf cards.

Yesterday i used one of my dad's cheap card readers to import the image I needed. I attached the reader and inserted the card and began going through it until it ejected it's self and then came back again over and over again, each time I would get the device was not ejected properly message. I was unable to sustain a connection long enough to import the image. Now when I put the card back in the cam it displays ERR and the access light is constantly on. The camera won't turn off whilst the card is inside. I can't access the menu to format the card as the egg timer stays on screen.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I should do with the card? Would inserting it into the camera in this state corrupt the camera in some way?

*update*

I scanned it with disk utility and it is definitely bust. i already have the images imported and backed up so i'm not bothered about recovering them but I only bought the card a week ago. i want to take it back to the shop I got it from and exchange it but I'm worried about somebody getting their hands on my stuff. I've tried to erase it in disk util but it doesn't work. It is like the card is completely gone. It now doesn't display as a memory card or anything. Just a 4gb volume. What would be the best thing to do??

2. Captpegleg macrumors member

Do you re-format the card with the camera after unloading photos? That is almost a must to have a good card each time you use it. For the problems you can have by erasing via computer, it's not worth doing any other way.

3. apearlman macrumors regular

Contact the manufacturer.

I wouldn't bother with the store where you bought the card. They can give you a new one, but if you're worried about people accessing your data/images, you're probably better off sending it to the manufacturer, who will send you a new one.