Corrupt CF card

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Scorch07, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

So I have a slight problem. One of my CF cards appears to be corrupted in some way. Now there aren't any pictures stuck on it or anything, it somehow happened after I transferred the last batch of pictures, but now the card will not format. Does anyone have an idea of how to get it working again? It's a SanDisk Extreme III 8GB if that helps. I have two more so it's admittedly not really hurting my workflow that much but I'd still like to get it up and running again if I can.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Where did you try to format it? Just in camera?

3. Scorch07 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've tried it on the camera and with disk utility. The camera simply says cannot format, change card. Disk utility acts like it works, and I can even put files on it and such from my computer, but the camera simply refuses to accept it. It's very odd.

4. jampat macrumors 6502a

Chuck it. Can you afford to lose 8gb of images if it screws up while it's full? Once electronics start to fail, it's time to get new electronics, even if you can get it working again, it is very likely to fail again. Just my .02

EDIT: Is this the only card your camera doesn't like? Check the pins in the CF slot in your camera and make sure none are bent.

5. Scorch07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, it's the only one. But yeah, I suppose that's a good point, 'tis risky. And as another note, my mom's windows laptop doesn't even see it if I plug it into a card reader.

6. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

This is new enough that it should still be under warranty. Send it back to SanDisk for a replacement.

http://apac.sandisk.com/Retail/DocumentInfo.aspx?DocumentID=3010

7. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

8. Scorch07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ohhh didn't realize their warranty was that long. I'll definitely check in to that.