Corrupt iOS...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lwood1, Aug 29, 2016.

1. lwood1 macrumors 6502

I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

My iPhone is having major battery issues. Whenever it's not plugged in it dies and when plugged in it doesn't really hold a charge.

Had  check it out and they said battery was OK and the iOS was corrupt and to restore as new to fix it.

So I want to be able to get my text messages moved over to the new restore. Anyone know of a good/free program that can do that? Thanks

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Unfortunately, you are unable to transfer backups without restoring. There are some programs that will decode your backup, create a fresh backup with only your messages and then you restore that 'fake' backup to your device. Honestly, its a huge risk. Not for messing something up, because you can always restore fresh again, but its a risk at re-corrupting iOS.

3. Ulenspiegel, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016

Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

You may want to try SynciOS (free) or AnyTrans (trial version available).

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Those remove messages from the device, but you can't import them.

5. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Syncios.
    Anytrans.

If these applications are not capable of moving messages from one iPhone to another, then the authors are misleading the users.

6. StarkCity macrumors 6502a

StarkCity

Save them, as in you just want to look at old texts from time to time ?

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Direct cloning is creating a backup of your current and copying it to your new phone, just without using iTunes. iBackupbot, iFunbox and a few other apps do the same exact thing. iOS does not allow for importing of messages directly into the message app.

8. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Then we can say that these companies mislead the users (in case of message transfer function at least) as they do nothing but make (a full) backup and when cloning/merging they simply overwrite with the (full) backup. Is this correct?

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

That is correct. Unless jailbroken, you cannot reimport messages to the message app. iOS does not allow it. The only way is through a backup. Whether it is iTunes, iCloud or a third party app that creates backups.

10. lwood1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Quick update: Apple was wrong-wasn't corrupt just a ****ty battery. It would be cool if  made Messages as important as it does with Photos...