Corrupt .MOV files

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by wlollrus, Aug 31, 2012.

1. wlollrus macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    These files were viewable on the camera, but once i imported them about half of them were unopenable with this error message

[​IMG]

2. matd2100 macrumors newbie

Have you checked that...

1) They copied over correctly? The file sizes should match on the camera and on the computer. If not they didn't copy over cleanly and you should try copying them over again.

2) Have you tried opening them in VLC player? Chances are that if quicktime can't play it then VLC can. If they don't open in VLC then they are probably corrupt.

3. wlollrus thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i tried VLC and importing them on a friends PC, neither worked. What should I do if they are corrupt?

4. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

If you still have the originals (e.g. on the card) you could try to import them again.

VLC is sometimes able to repair a broken video file. When you open it, VLC will say it's broken and will ask you if you want to repair it. If VLC doesn't ask this, it can't repair the files.

I'm not familiair with AVCHD, but it could be that it shows up as a .mov file (I could be totally wrong here). With AVCHD it can be important to copy the entire card (so make a digital image of the card). The hierarchy and structure of the files is important for quicktime to play the video back.

5. wlollrus thread starter macrumors newbie

VLC didn't ask me and the camera can't play the files any more :/
    Could i bring it into a store and have it repaired?

6. daybreak macrumors 6502a

Have you tried iMovie?. before pressing the panic button.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

.mov is not a audio/video format, it is a wrapper format. There are any number of video and audio formats that are supported by the .mov wrapper. You need a compatible codec for each. I note that the OP did not give the camera manufacturer or model. This missing information is important because some manufacturers use proprietary-format video which requires a proprietary codec. In this case, the required codec is included with the manufacturer's software in the shipping box.

Many manufacturers use video formats that are supported by the Perian codec suite. If the OP has not installed it, then I strongly recommend that he install Perian.