Corrupt recovery partition

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by dryjoy, Feb 6, 2015.

1. dryjoy macrumors regular

My Yosemite recovery partition seems to be corrupt. I have a Mac Pro 2009, OS X on one internal HD and Windows 7 on an entirely separate internal HD.

I can boot fine from normal OS X and Windows 7, but the recovery partition gets as far as about 1/4 of the way up the loading bar, then black screens and restarts, and then the cycle repeats. You have to power off to get out of it.

Is there a way to reinstall just the recovery partition? It's not the end of the world, but annoying and I would like to fix it if possible.

The reason I discovered this is that I put a new GTX750Ti graphics card in my Mac. I was using the computer in Windows, and selected restart in OS X from the Bootcamp menu. The machine restarted but the monitor was just black. I wondered what was wrong, so turned the machine off, put the original GT120 card back in so that I could see the bootmenu, and discovered what was happening. For some reason, choosing restart in OS X in Windows caused it to attempt to boot from the recovery partition. Selecting the start up volume from either OS X or bootcamp control panel works fine.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. dryjoy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I'll give it a try and post back with the outcome, in case anyone else has the same issue.