Corrupt SSD - MBA 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bp1000, Jan 28, 2012.

1. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I posted a while back on here about HDD space that had suddenly gone missing.

Essentially, the system was reporting around 80GB of used space, allocated to "other", none of this could be found on the drive and believe me it wasn't time machine back ups.

I only discovered what it was when i ran verify disk and realised that there were disk errors. Suggesting i boot into recovery mode and repair the disk. I repaired the disk and verify disk was then successful and my 90GB returned as a free space.

Unfortunately, the same thing has happened again

This is the error msg:
    [​IMG]

I wondered if anyone else had had this problem and had a resolution from the genius bar.

It certainly sounds like a new SSD is in order.

My current SSD is a Toshiba. I'm sure a failing or faulty Toshiba is bound to stir up the hornets nest and resurrect the samsung fans in their full glory :D

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

possibly bad SSD but also could be RAM causing data corruption. Any freezing or random strangeness with different apps/files?

3. bp1000 thread starter macrumors 65816

I haven't had any freezes or running issues, fast as ever.

I never power down, always sleep? I wonder if this corrupts things, multiple sleeps.

Sometimes my fans run high and the case gets a bit hot with nothing running in activity monitor, I reboot and all is fine.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

I rarely restart and usually just let it sleep. It sounds like you have a corrupt SSD controller. I would take it back and have it fixed under warranty.

5. lc25 macrumors 6502

6. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

On an SSD it is usually the controller that dies. So maybe it is dying and corrupting the disk. A trip to an Apple store will fix this.

And maybe you'll get a Samsung SSD. :)

7. barryf43 macrumors newbie

I am having the exact same problem! I have been struggling with poor performance for that last several weeks. My screen shot of the disk utility window is an exact match to yours. Apple store has been stumped. Did a clean erase and new install, but problem came back. We are now replacing the ssd, but, of course, they have to order it since there are none in stock. I asked to make sure its a Samsung, but they said there's no way of knowing until it's installed.

I sure hope the new ssd fixes the problem.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

Out of curiosity, do you know if you had a Samsung or Toshiba before?

The Samsung drives are the 470 series, which have generally been very reliable. Of course, the Toshiba drives also had been known for reliability, but I think Samsung and Intel are the top in terms of that.

9. barryf43 macrumors newbie

I currently have a Samsung ssd.

10. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

If the Genius Bar replaces your SSD, you will get the same make of SSD. The Toshiba (661-5684) and the Samsung (661-6052) have different part numbers.

11. barryf43, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

barryf43 macrumors newbie

Well, they replaced my Samsung SSD with a Toshiba. Said they can't control the supplier for replacement parts. Seems to have solved the problem. Should I care?

12. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

No.