Corrupt video after waking

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dmrowley, Feb 16, 2013.

1. dmrowley macrumors 6502

dmrowley

Hi All,

My 2010 iMac has started to have an issue when it wakes from sleep. It does not happen every time, but has happened twice in two days. The screen is completely screwed up on both the iMac and my secondary screen. See photo.

I am not able to access the machine via Screen sharing, but I can access my shared folders. The only way to fix it is via the power button. I have tried a PRAM reset, but has not helped... Failing video card? I have made a Genius bar appt for Monday, but would like to know if anyone has any thoughts to compare to the genius.

Cheers.

iPhone-2013-02-16_17-43-28.jpg

2. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Looks like a bad video card to me. Try to take a screenshot (command+shift+3) and see if the file that it saves comes out as just black. You'll probably have to access the computer from another on the same network to look at the file if the screen is too bad.

If the file is just black, you can know that it's the video card (or any number of other software/hardware video rendering issues) rather than just a loose display wire or something.

3. dmrowley thread starter macrumors 6502

dmrowley

Just left the Raleigh Apple Store, and they are replacing the video card under my AppleCare. Also getting the recalled Seagate HD replaced. I hope this fixes the video issues. Time will tell.