Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstuff11

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2015
Apologies if this has been covered before but I'm wondering if I have a special set of circumstances. I have an HFS hard drive that I formatted on a Mac and then installed Paragon for Windows on my laptop to be able to read it and to be fair, it worked well. I was working off the hard drive on the Windows and it suddenly stopped working. I had to pull it out to get it to respond but when I put it back in, it says its corrupted and unreadable. Similar story on a Mac, tried to repair and it doesn't repair the disk. How do I get the information off the hard drive as I assume I have to reformat? And I'm assuming reformatting will get it working again?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If you want to retrieve data of the drive do not reformat it as that will make recovery even more difficult. If Disk Utility cannot repair the drive, you might take a look at a tool like Disk Warrior, but it is not cheap.

If you don't want the data, a reformat might make the drive work again, but I would not trust it after that.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
If you want to retrieve data of the drive do not reformat it as that will make recovery even more difficult. If Disk Utility cannot repair the drive, you might take a look at a tool like Disk Warrior, but it is not cheap.

If you don't want the data, a reformat might make the drive work again, but I would not trust it after that.
This could be a couple of things - bad driver, bad enclosure and/or corrupted drive. Try swapping it into another enclosure and another system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.