Corrupted Disk - Free repair utilities?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tumbleweed666, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Tumbleweed666

Reason I'm looking for free is not because I'm a cheapskate but I have no need to recover the data on the disk in question (its backed up elsewhere and its not the system disk) and it costs much more to buy the usual suspects like DiskWarrior than to just buy a new disk.
    Its a 2TB disk, with two partitions, one of which is accessible and works, the other is greyed out in Disk Utility and cannot be mounted or diagnosed or otherwise accessed.
    So more likely its software, but it might be hardware so theres no logic in spending about 2x on an app I need for a one-off repair that might not work, might as well "fix" it for sure with a new disk.
    I'm quite happy to wipe it and start again.
    TIA

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

If you have the data backed up somewhere else, it will be far FAR easier to just go to the backup and restore from there.

Doing so will save you A LOT of time, trouble, and headaches.

3. dwig macrumors 6502a

Whatever you do, backup the data on the readable partition first and test the backup to confirm it is good.

4. Tumbleweed666 thread starter macrumors 68000

Tumbleweed666

Thanks. Its already backed up in multiple places and this whole disk is just a second TM disk (it was the first).
    Looks like there are no answers so I'm going to try plugging it into a PC and seeing if i can nuke it from that and if that works I'll then try a reformat back on the Mac.

5. dwig macrumors 6502a

That has worked for me in the past when macOS Disk Utility can't deal with the drive/partition. In those cases, I've had to use Windows' Drive Manager to access the drive, repartitioning it there. After that, I reformatted the drive using Windows, usually as exFAT so the Mac will see it.

I've done this several times, interestingly two of the drives were munged by TM.

6. Tumbleweed666 thread starter macrumors 68000

Tumbleweed666

OK we'll see how this goes, I've managed to erase and reinstate it using "DiskUtil" via Terminal. Which helpfully was pointed to below here in "similar threads" under "alternatives to disk utlity" - Thanks HenryAZ.
    If it survives a few weeks then it was "just" software" it it fails again I'll bin it and buy a new one.
    TM is currently backing up to it.
    DiskUtil reported what sounded like logical errors, things pointing in the wrong places but it wasn't able to repair hence the reformat.
    Thanks all.