Corrupted Files When Transfering Images from SD Card

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Robg54, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Robg54 macrumors member

Recently, I have been having issues with my SD card reader that has been causig images to dissappear or become corrupted somehow.

Last week I attempted to upload pictures of my family ice skating in Bryant park for Christmas. When I plugged in the memory card, all the pictures from the prior day were gone. Older pictures were still there, however. We had just browsed through them on the camera moments before. When I plugged it in they were gone. We didn't make the connection that the computer may have done something.

Then, my Wife and I went Skiing and on vacation for New Years. We took lots of pictures with family. When I attempted to load the pictures to my Macbook Pro, onto iphoto specifically, as they loaded, I couldn't see the photos. Then, when they loaded, all the pictures were just grey boxes, sometimes with jumbled colors on the edges.

Worried it was the card reader itself somehow, I tried my usb card reader. I attempted to open one of the images from the finder, and it wouldn't open, and said it was "empty". They were all labeled as .jpg but none of them worked.

My wife and I are very upset to have lost an entire vacations worth of pictures. We still have the SD card and the files on my computer, so we are holding out hope that the pictures may be recoverable.

Does anyone have any idea what may have happened or what possible steps may be taken to recover said photos? We have a genius appointment for this coming monday, but any help or advice or thoughts or ideas would be extremely welcome!

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

If you place the SD card back in the camera, can you still browse your photos?

3. Robg54 thread starter macrumors member

No, I should have mentioned that in my original post. The pictures do not work in the camera. It gives an error message.

4. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Hmm... you may be screwed. Before giving up completely, you could send the SD card to a data recovery company. They are usually not cheap, so you have to decide if it's worth the cost to you.

In either case, I would suggest you get a new SD card and try to repeat the problem before taking it on vacation again. I would probably also use the physical write-protect switch on the card when inserting it into the mac - there is really no reason the mac needs to write to the card unless you are using it to erase the photos after you copy them.