Corrupted Hard Drive Questions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jsf8x, Dec 10, 2011.

1. jsf8x macrumors 6502

jsf8x

Just as the topic says. My Mid 2010 iMac has been having some issues and I just went through disk utility and I found out that my Macintosh HD was corrupt and needs to be repaired. It says it needs to be repaired but the 'repair disk' button isn't clickable.

I can't figure out how to start with my installation disc because there is no installation disc for Lion. I tried with my Snow Leopard disc and it didn't work.

Below is a screen shot of what my disc utility looks like when I try to verify disc.

[​IMG]

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Restart the machine, when you hear the startup tone hold down the Option Key and then choose the Recovery Partition. Open Disk Utility in the Recovery Partition (it will be very obvious) and run Repair Disk from there.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Make A Bootable Lion USB Stick

By following the instructions step by step:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

Should get you going again, but your hdd may have bad sectors, and could need replacement

4. jsf8x thread starter macrumors 6502

jsf8x

Thanks! I'll post back if I have any more questions/issues.

5. jsf8x thread starter macrumors 6502

jsf8x

Wait a second. Is there a way to do this without having to erase everything that is already on my external hard drive?

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Have you been using TM regularly? I would make sure that you have a good backup first.

/Jim