Corrupted iTunes library file :(

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by balamw, Jul 17, 2007.

1. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Well, had a power outage yesterday that apparently went beyond what my UPS can handle. :(

My iTunes library that feeds my iPod and :apple:TV live on an XP box, and the only files that were damaged due to the unintended shutdown were my iTunes library file (both ITL and XML versions) and iTunes preferences. Go figure.

The backup I made of the ITL and XML files about a month ago (before 7.3.1) are also seen as corrupt, so I had to go back to the last version I had it could read which was from 9/16/2006.

Fortunately most of my smart playlists haven't changed since then, but all the files I've added since then are now missing.

I've backed up my iPod to the iMac with Senuti, but my library is much larger than the iPod, so I'll still lose stuff.

It's going to be a long weekend.

B

2. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

If your library database files were corrupt your song files should still be in tact you'll just have to reimport them from the filesystem. You'll lose any of the metadata that you added (playcount, comments, etc).

Good luck getting things back to normal.

3. balamw thread starter Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yeah, all the content seems fine, and I know I have backups of all the actual media files. For some odd reason the verified library backup didn't work.

I'm planning on not syncing the iPod until I can try to at least get ratings in reasonable shape since that's what many of my smart playlists depend on...

B