Corrupted microsd card fix??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Username103, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Username103 macrumors newbie

Hey, I have a 16 GB Sandisk microsd card that I was using in my Blackberry. I didn't have a micro usb cable at the time so I was placing music onto the microsd card via an usb adapter. Apparently, I didn't eject the disk safely and it got corrupted. When I plug the adapter into the usb port I get a popup stating "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." with the option to Initialize, Ignore or Eject. The disk shows up as a 32.1 MB generic mass storage device. Disk Utility, my Blackberry, and Win XP can't reformat the card. How do I repair the card so that it shows up as 16 GB. Is that even possible or is it a complete loss?

2. case2001 macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I have had the same problem. The issue was not a formatting problem but corrupted partion information on the card. The formating with windows did not work. I had to repartition the card and then format. Now th problem is I just got my MacBook pro 1 week ago and have no idea how to low level format it in Mac OS X. I used a Linux box to partition and format my card. Then it worked fine again. I have been told that digital cameras will partion the cards at the same time they are formatted in the camera.

Good luck

3. Username103 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response, it does in fact seem to be corrupted partition info on the card. Booted up Linux for about the third time in my life to try to fix the issue and got all of nowhere. (Format did not work on Linux) Haven't tried in my camera due to a lack of a sd adapter. I would very much appreciate if you took some time to help me figure this out.

4. case2001 macrumors 6502

Sorry I had not noticed your reply. If you don't have a Linux machine I would suggest you try Knoppix. Just do a Google seach download and burn it to DVD or CD. Then look for a program called qtparted. It is the system folder I believe. It is a graphical partitioning program. Insert the sd card and partition it as fat16. Then go to your xp box and format it. It should work.