corrupted ssd after some serious gaming and video encoding at the same time

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Lil Chillbil, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

Ok so stupid thing I did today was to set my 160 gig ssd to use virtual memory, I then proceeded to try out my new 128 gigs of ram with a full lets play of quake 4 on the highest settings whilst running cs5 encoding a full 7 hours of 1080p video at the same time. after I finished my game and the encode stopped I ran disk utility and it says that the ssd is corrupted.

Specs late 2006 Imac 17 inch hooked up to external 17 inch monitor
    Core 2 duo 2.16ghz
    2 gbs 667mhz ram
    128mb vram
    160 gig ssd

Just wanted to let you guys know that this is a very stupid thing to do and don't try this at home kids unless you have full backups of everything and a os x snow leopard disk on hand.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Most SSDs are fine and suffer no ill effects regardless of data use. It's likely something else more along the lines of a poorly designed chipset / firmware or old model SSD. OCZ were / are notoriously crappy.

Which model SSD were you using? What firmware did it have?

Of course it's also possible to wear out an SSD, and defragmenting or virtual RAM would probably do it.

3. Lil Chillbil thread starter macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I have an older intel ssd, I've been using it for heavy use for the past few months or so while i'm waiting for the new mac pro to come out

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I use the Intel SSD too in my 2010 MBP. Sounds like the virtual RAM just wrote too many times to it. They make high endurance NAND SSDs.

5. ssdaytona macrumors member

6. Lil Chillbil thread starter macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

yeah but at this point I am planning on upgrading within the next week, so I figured why not have the imac go down fighting after a 7 year run, the ssd has failed btw and I am now running off of a flash drive install over usb 2.0. the processor feels as thou one core has failed and the ram feels as thou its only running at 1/2 speed after I have been doing all of my professional work on this machine for the past month and a half

7. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Frankly it sounds as though you have a cascade of issues. I wonder if the SSD is actually okay and something on the mobo is fried or close to it.

A failure of thermal management might have been the root of this. Sounds like you were pounding this seven-year-old machine pretty hard. If there's a decent coating of bunny fur inside and/or the fan(s) were no longer capable of spinning sufficiently fast to cool the innards, cascades of this sort can occur.

It's less likely with an Intel machine, by the way. Intel's CPUs have long had admirable thermal safeguards.

8. Lil Chillbil, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013

Lil Chillbil thread starter macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I had the fans on high control, I kept them at around 5500 at idle and up to 7000 when under some serious graphics intense work

edit: the screen also has over 56 lines going down it and the left half keeps flickering and the ethernet port stopped working ?