Corrupted user account?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Morod, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Hi,
    I run day-to-day in a non-Admin account. About 18 months ago, the :apple: in the menu bar has gone from 100% black to 50% black to 25% black, alternating horizontally. This happens only in my non-Admin account.
    A few days ago, I have not been able to properly log off of MobileMe or access the Account info. I get this screen:
    [​IMG]
    Again, it only happens in my day-to-day non Admin account. I can access these fine in my other accounts.
    My AppleCare warranty runs out next month. So I am going to take my 2007 24", 2.4GHz, 4GB iMac to the Apple Store to see what's what. My Question:
    Can they restore my account and still keep all my additions/modifications to my account and still be able to fix it?
    Any advice/suggestions are most welcome! Thank you.
    Morod

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If your account is corrupted, then they'll be hard pressed to save anything. Perhaps your data, but setting wise, they'll probably not.

Perhaps its too late, but something like this would have easily resolved with TimeMachine, i.e., restore to a point where the user account is not corrupted.

3. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

I have TM backups since I got this iMac, but I don't know that it would help.
    Thank you for the info, though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed (which makes it really difficult to type, :p).

4. Morod, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2010

Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

Corrupted user account followup

So today I used my SL disk and Time Machine to do a System Restore of my user account. No luck with fixing it. It appears I will have to build a new user account, which is no problem. The problem is migrating all the data/settings from my present account to the new one. Is there an easy or semi-easy way to do this?
    My AppleCare runs out next month, so I am going to take the iMac in soon for a once-over. Do you think this migration would be covered by AppleCare?
    Thanks again everyone!

5. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

AppleCare to the rescue, I hope

So I've made a reservation at the local Apple Store concerning the corrupt user account. Hopefully they can fix it as it seems to be a real PITA to transfer data from one account to another on the same iMac.
    The good news is while I was attempting to repair this I finally installed the TechTool Deluxe that came with the iMac and updated it to the newest version, 3.1.3. It found a had bad video RAM and Volume Structure. So these will be fixed as well. I'll let you know what I find out to resolve this problem.

6. Morod, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011

Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

A new hard drive and a call to Apple solved my problems. Thanks AppleCare! A $400 charge for parts/labor was free, as they replaced my failing 360GB Hitachi HD with a 500 GB Intel HD and talked me through a new user account setup with my old data via remoteadvisor. No data or settings lost.
    A huge thank you to Benjamin.
    Morod
    On Edit:
    The Apple Store also upgraded my iLife 08 to iLife 09 at no charge. Gotta love it!