Corsair 16gb Ram- Random Lockups/Beachballs

scmguru

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Picked up a set of 16GB ram @ Fry's and ran it through memtest probably 10+ times.

However, I've noticed some random lockups/hanging that don't quite cause Kernel panics, but definitely seem to be a problem.

I noticed Corsair has 2 SKU's for this Ram, both with the same specs, but one is tagged as Mac memory, the other as General Purpose..

Anyone here experiencing the same type of problems?

Thanks!

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
Nope, I'm running the "Non-Mac" memory. Have had 2 different sets in two MacBook Pro's, no problems at all. Could it be your HDD/SSD failing?

Comment

scmguru

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Nope, I'm running the "Non-Mac" memory. Have had 2 different sets in two MacBook Pro's, no problems at all. Could it be your HDD/SSD failing?
I'm running a samsung 830.. maybe it's time to upgrade the firmware and see if it helps.

Comment

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
I've had bad memory but show good during the MemTest. Do what the above poster said and if that solves it, it's the RAM.

Also, I'm running a Samsung 830 as well, no issues ever. So I doubt it's the SSD. If it was an OCZ or something, maybe a different story.

Comment

Acejam2k

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
Picked up a set of 16GB ram @ Fry's and ran it through memtest probably 10+ times.

However, I've noticed some random lockups/hanging that don't quite cause Kernel panics, but definitely seem to be a problem.

I noticed Corsair has 2 SKU's for this Ram, both with the same specs, but one is tagged as Mac memory, the other as General Purpose..

Thanks!
I had the EXACT same issue as you. Samsung 830 SSD and 16GB Corsair RAM kit, both of which I got from NewEgg. Random beachballs, lockups, but never any kernel panics.

I also passed 20+ rounds of Memtest. The RAM was the issue. I RMA'd it back to NewEgg for a refund and put the stock 4GB back in my machine, and never had any issues again.

Next time I recommend searching, see my extensive thread here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1287539/

I've kept the Samsung 830 since, and ordered a Crucial 16GB RAM kit. It seems Corsair is not liked in Mac's, especially since this is "Value Select" RAM. (aka, their cheapest stuff) Mac's are *extremely* sensitive to faulty RAM.

Comment

stavs

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2008

Thanks!
I have the 16gb mac specific kit. I installed it in my new MBP on Friday, and have had no issues.

Comment

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
As far as Mac RAM goes, I would either go with Crucial or OWC. Those are the only two companies I trust at the moment for 100% stability.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.