Corsair 16gb Ram- Random Lockups/Beachballs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scmguru, Jan 19, 2012.

1. scmguru macrumors member

Picked up a set of 16GB ram @ Fry's and ran it through memtest probably 10+ times.

However, I've noticed some random lockups/hanging that don't quite cause Kernel panics, but definitely seem to be a problem.

I noticed Corsair has 2 SKU's for this Ram, both with the same specs, but one is tagged as Mac memory, the other as General Purpose..

Anyone here experiencing the same type of problems?

Thanks!

2. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Nope, I'm running the "Non-Mac" memory. Have had 2 different sets in two MacBook Pro's, no problems at all. Could it be your HDD/SSD failing?

3. scmguru thread starter macrumors member

I'm running a samsung 830.. maybe it's time to upgrade the firmware and see if it helps.

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

put old memory back, check if problems go away. If the answer is yes, bring the memory back to Frys.

5. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

I've had bad memory but show good during the MemTest. Do what the above poster said and if that solves it, it's the RAM.

Also, I'm running a Samsung 830 as well, no issues ever. So I doubt it's the SSD. If it was an OCZ or something, maybe a different story.

6. Acejam2k macrumors regular

I had the EXACT same issue as you. Samsung 830 SSD and 16GB Corsair RAM kit, both of which I got from NewEgg. Random beachballs, lockups, but never any kernel panics.

I also passed 20+ rounds of Memtest. The RAM was the issue. I RMA'd it back to NewEgg for a refund and put the stock 4GB back in my machine, and never had any issues again.

Next time I recommend searching, see my extensive thread here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1287539

I've kept the Samsung 830 since, and ordered a Crucial 16GB RAM kit. It seems Corsair is not liked in Mac's, especially since this is "Value Select" RAM. (aka, their cheapest stuff) Mac's are *extremely* sensitive to faulty RAM.

7. auhlixer macrumors regular

Mine died on sunday.

It's been over 30 days so no exchange or refund from newegg :eek:

Submitted a complaint on corsair's site today

8. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

Ones 1.5V and the other's 1.35V

Not sure if thats going to be a problem at all....

9. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

2 ram sticks with different voltages ?

that's a problem

you should put 2 identical sticks

10. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

Haha no no no I mean one type for sale is 1.5V and the other type is 1.35V

I think the problems might arise with the 1.5V sticks but thats just my guess.

11. stavs macrumors newbie

I have the 16gb mac specific kit. I installed it in my new MBP on Friday, and have had no issues.

12. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

As far as Mac RAM goes, I would either go with Crucial or OWC. Those are the only two companies I trust at the moment for 100% stability.