Corsair 64gb SSD in MBP 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kenz0, Jul 15, 2011.

1. kenz0 macrumors member

I have been using this SSD with my MBP 2011 13' for some time now. Everything has been good and smooth. Recently it has been slower then when I first bought it. The boot up time when i first bought it was like 3 seconds and now its like 6. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

2. DKTacts macrumors member

At a certain point - differences in speed becomes negligible. I'd say you're at this point - do the extra 3 seconds really kill you?

But to answer your question - parts break down, computers get slower, the entropy of the universe increases. If you really care about those 3 seconds, you could always reformat, clear your PRAM, reinstall OSX but that's overkill.

3. kenz0 thread starter macrumors member

Oh okay. It doesn't really bother me but I just needed an explanation for it. Thanks for the input though.

4. Philflow macrumors 65816

Which Corsair SSD do you have?

You are probably experiencing some performance degradation, which is normal. Depending on which SSD it is there are certain things you can do.

First of all you could look into the OS X trim hack.

By the way, if you count from pressing the power button to the appearing of the background image of the desktop, how many seconds does it take?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That will help for write opations, booting up is primarily reading from the SSD so I'm not sure if the TRIM hack would help in that one narrow specific instance.

It can't hurt to enable it as the overall benefits are there :)

6. Philflow macrumors 65816

Good point, but I read that without TRIM you get more fragmentation.

The slower boot up process might be a results of more fragmentation.

To get performance back to normal a secure erase + clean install + TRIM hack could be necessary.