Corsair Extreme SSD x256 - yes or no?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikepro, Mar 11, 2011.

1. mikepro macrumors 6502

Considering a refurbished Corsair Extreme x256 GB SSD for $256 at Microcenter for my 2010 15" i5. Awesome price on a high capacity drive. Uses Indilinx controller, seems to perform pretty well in benchmarks I've found, except maybe for random read/writes.

However, seems like many have had issues with this drive, especially disappearing from SATA bus. I can't figure out if firmware has fixed this or not, or if it is a problem with newer MBP's. Most posts seem old.

Anyone have any information or experience on this drive? Thinking of giving it a try at such an attractive price...

2. pricej636 macrumors 6502

All I can say is read the reviews and believe them. In my opinion this is not something you want to skimp out on unless you like losing your data or being without your SSD for long periods of time. I just spent a couple weeks reading reviews on drives before I purchased and came to one conclusion... you get what you pay for. The first generation of most consumer SSDs were junk. Bad controllers, bad firmware. 2nd generation is much better, and now third generation we should start seeing faster speeds and hopefully much better reliability.

I ended up buying a 120GB Intel drive. Not the fastest drive out there but seemed to be the most consistant and pretty reliable.

3. tahoeroscoe macrumors regular

tahoeroscoe

I got the same deal at frys a few days ago, spent 3 hours cloning my drive to it and 30 minutes later it died. MPB wouldnt boot, put my old HDD back in and tried accessing the x256 through an external usb enclosure....nada. Hooked it up to an old PC...nada. returned to frys for a full refund. YMMV.