Corsair Force 3 SSD in Late 2011 MBP - Normal speeds?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Oofie, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Oofie macrumors regular

I just upgraded the hdd on my Late 2011 13" macbook pro with a Corsair Force 3 120gb SSD. Ive attached screen caps of the tests and info about my computer.

Question is, is this normal for this configuration or is it slow? Boot up time is about 25 seconds. Not really happy about that. By the way, MBP is running ML. Corsair has the drive advertised with 550 read and 510 write. Am I supposed to be getting similar numbers to that?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wytwolf, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

wytwolf macrumors regular

Corsair's use sandforce controllers that are known to slow down when moving or reading uncompressed data. Corsair never says your disk "will" read or write at those high speeds, just that those are the max speeds that it "can" read and write at. Here are the notes for blackmagic version 2.1:

"Some SSD's use hidden compression when writing data to make their benchmarked speeds appear faster. Disk Speed Test will now measure the true speed of these SSD's so you know if they are suitable for high quality uncompressed video capture."

Though it does seem to be a bit on the slow end even for sandforce at 6Gbps

3. Xerotech macrumors 6502

If you read multiple benchmarks you'll realize that older macs don't get high class benchmarks as PCs. It's either the SATA, ACHI not being enabled or mac osx not optimizing drives.
    When the force 3 first came out, I went INSANE. The stupid thing caused tons of kernal panics and would not install. It was the worst drive I ever owned. Newegg quickly gave me a refund even after I submitted a rebate. When I swapped to the Intel 510 SSD it also gave much slower speeds than advertised.