Corsair introduces world's first High-Performance Mac Memory!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tsurisuto, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Tsurisuto macrumors 6502

I read this artical and was impressed at the 28% improvement claim, but I was wondering how Corsair achieve this?

I was going to buy my RAM from Crucial, but a 28% improvement is a lot to pass by.

2. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Eh, sounds like a gimmick to me. But hey, what do I know?

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Seems strange the would make false claims so im not sure on this,the best person to answer this would be canadaRAM as he's the resident guru on such matters

4. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Does corsair even make their own ram
    what a 28% difference from value labeled ram?

5. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

I would like to see some benchmarks produced by their "Special" RAM :cool:

6. miykael81 macrumors newbie

The difference that they are selling is that it is Cas 4 ram[4-4-4-12 as opposed to 5-5-5-15] for the macbook and macbook pro's, but also they mention that these chips "features special Serial Presence Detect (SPD) profile characteristics, so that Macs can self-configure for optimal performance for critical applications."

I know it is not out of the realm of possibility for a tech company to float some bogus # or performance enhancements that don't actually do much of anything but I wouldn''t expect this from Crucial.

Maybe I give them too much credit, but here is one thing to consider...

I have seen windows users(the non-bootcamp variety) post that they have put CL4 chips in thier systems and noted CPU-Z reporting the CL4 being recognized.

Perhaps this is possible in the santa rosa Macbook/MBP platform? [Merom&Penryn]

As far as I know(and I could be very wrong), I have never seen a definitive answer from anyone stating that the EFI on the macbook/MBP lines cannot detect CL4 ram as CL4, usually people just saying that it probably doesn't or most likely wouldn't...

7. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Corsair, not Crucial. Neither are bad companies, but they're both heavy on the marketing mumbo jumbo and light on the reality.

8. miykael81 macrumors newbie

Doh, yes thanks, that's what I meant.... serves me right for having a bazillion open tech sites.... :eek:

9. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Wow, you know Macs have become a lot more popular when you see the likes of Corsair targetting Mac users with 'high performance' memory :cool:

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

There is another thread on this topic (I don't know which was first)

Anyway it is NOT 28% -- the 28% was the best case figure comparing 1 Gb of RAM with 4 Gb of RAM - not a fair comparison at all.

The real comparison on the Corsair test, shows from 0.5% to about 9% difference between 4 Gb RAM of CL5 to 4 Gb RAM of CL4. There was one anomalous result that showed 19% difference.

But their testing was done on a three-generation old pre-Santa Rosa MBP 2.16.., That is a strange choice, and I wonder what effect the test would have on a SR or a Penryn machine. (the omission of SR, Penryn and MacBooks from the test results also makes me wonder whether these machines were tested. If they were tested, were the results not as favorable?)