Corsair Mac RAM Issues :(

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ohdh, Nov 7, 2013.

1. ohdh macrumors newbie

Ok so here it goes: RAM - http://www.corsair.com/en/memory-by-product-family/value-select-memory-upgrades/corsair-mac-memory-8gb-ddr3-sodimm-memory-kit-cmsa8gx3m2a1333c9.html

TLDR: ordered same ram twice, not faulty, didn't work in mid 2010 imac (iMac11,2) after multiple tests and configurations

I purchased Corsair Apple ram 2x4gb sticks (CMSA8GX3M2A1333C9) for my mid 2010 imac (which apparently is the worst model for ram issues from what I have found in my research), these sticks meet the requirements for my imac (as far as I know based on the apple specs page) but I am having no luck.

1st purchase: I bought the RAM and installed it, immediately had a kernel panic when booting, white screen + apple logo... bam kernel panic. I then attempted placing the ram in different slots, and booting without the stock ram installed. When the corsair is alone it doesn't pass the white apple screen, when it was with the stock ram in different positions I was able to get it to boot into into a useable mode, and my imac detected the 12gb of ram (4gb stock +8gb new corsair). After a few hours of use my computer restarted, this happened every few hours ("your computer had to restart as a result of an issue" screen). Apple hardware test just froze, ram was re-seated multiple times, ram was moved in multiple slots and configurations. One apple hardware test yielded a memory error code 4MEM/9/400000000xb864f298. The result every time was an unhappy imac :( I contacted corsair and they recommended for me sending them the ram as it may be faulty. The tech's at Future Shop (where I purchased the ram) came to the same conclusion aka order new sticks.

2nd Purchase: Since the ram matches the specs for my imac (as far as I can tell, unless I missed something...) and it is thought to be faulty (by manufacturer and retailer) I returned 1st purchase and reordered the same ram. Guess what, no love round 2. Initial test caused a demon from hell sound (not the beeps) on initial startup. The AHT froze (again) without anything after multiple ram reseats and configurations, couldn't get it to work at all.

AHT with stock ram shows no issues :) so my conclusion is that the ram has something going on that is an issue. Question is what is causing this? the ram is apple certified, and matches the specs so why is corsair ram having so many issues? I think my only course of action is to order another brand of ram sadly corsair doesn't seem to cut it after 2 trials.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions that may be the culprit please let me know

Thanks

2. ohdh thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE:

Couldn't sleep so I ran some tests:

Performed SMC / PRAM/NRAM reset just in case

Test 1: 12gb (corsair 2x4gb toward screen, stock ram toward back)
    Result: 3 beeps, black screen

Test 2:12gb (corsair 2x4gb toward back, stock ram toward screen)
    Result: white screen + apple logo -> restart loop

Test 3: Boot into safe mode (test 2 ram configuration)
    Results: booted into safe mode, detects 12gb ram, ran Rember RAM test, test results came back as 1gb tested, checked activity monitor, 10.89gb in use, only 1gb free (?).

Test 4: stock 4gb - back to stock, works fine as usual, wrote this update, sad panda

Conclusion: not happy with this corsair ram, install 8gb more for 12gb and apparently get -3gb :p

3. jasminehortop macrumors newbie

Similar Problem

I'm having a similar problem on my work imac, since the RAM has been upgraded from 4gb to 8gb, it has been making the beeping noise/ freezing/ restarting, a couple of times a day now. System reports say kernal panic...
    Upgraded RAM is Kingston, shouldn't be an issue. Any ideas? Is the only option to replace the RAM and hope it fixes?
    We have already tried running memtest, and couldn't find any issues.
    Any ideas?