Corsair Ram for mac mini 2011

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Brm-G, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Brm-G macrumors member

2. oldtime macrumors regular

Yes, it will work just fine as long as you don't get a bad stick.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I got a stick that just died of the 1st model. Died 40 days after purchase. Waiting for Corsair to send back a warranty replacement. Sometimes it's just bad luck of the draw.

4. ivnj macrumors 65816

5. blanka macrumors 68000

Here the Mac version was the cheapest of all, even cheaper than generic Kingston ones. 43€. Can give it a try for that bit of pocketmoney.

6. Rambaud macrumors newbie

I bought 2 x 8Gb Corsair RAM sticks for my mac mini/mackbook pro a few weeks ago.

Seem to be working fine - so far.

7. drchuck macrumors newbie

corsair ram for mac mini

the "O" memory would not work in my mid-2011 mini. When installed i got 3 beeps at boot time and no boot. I went for the "A" version, and it booted right up. i have 10gb in the mini at the moment Corsair 8gb "A" in slot 1 and original Apple 2gb in slot zero. works fine. I have another 8gb "A" stick waiting to be installed - my right arm is in a cast so I need someone else to install it. 256gb ssd on the way so everything will be installed at the local Apple store sometime next week.

good luck

8. ToothTooth macrumors member

9. drchuck macrumors newbie

then why wouldn't the "O" version work in my mid 2011 mini? Consider the question rhetorical.

when i consulted with "The RAM Guy" at corsair, he explicitly said the "A" version was the correct version for my mini.

10. ToothTooth macrumors member

2011 Mac mini user manual

Per the 2011 Mac Mini user's manual:

"Mac mini (Mid 2011) computers have two internal memory slots. These slots accept a standard PC3-10600 DDR3 204-pin SO-DIMMs (Small Outline DIMM) with the following specifications:

PC3-10600 DDR3
    Unbuffered
    Non-parity
    204-pin module
    1333 MHz
    You can use RAM module sizes of 1 GB, 2 GB, or 4 GB in each slot.

DIMMs with the following features will not work with these Mac mini models:

Registers or buffers
    PLLs
    ECC
    Parity
    EDO RAM"

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4805

I've been using the "O" version with no problems. Don't know that the difference is between the "O" version and the "A" version, except for the fact that the "A" version is being marketed as having been "tested at Apple Developer Compatibility Labs". Looking at the detailed specs, they appear to be identical. In fact, I'd wager that the two versions are the same except for the branding.

As I mentioned before, I'm using the "O" version and it definitely works great.

11. The HACK macrumors newbie

I have the 16Gb "O" version running in my 2011 i5 2.5Ghz MINI right now and it seems to work pretty well.

CMSO16GX3M2A1333C9