Corsair RAM in new 27" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jjvaldez, Aug 7, 2011.

1. jjvaldez macrumors newbie

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows if the Corsair "Laptop" memory is compatible with the new thunderbolt iMac, its the 3.4ghz i7 model. The RAM that I got is from Fry's, its the DDR3 1066Mhz (CM3XGSDKIT1066)

Thanks

2. AlexBerkman macrumors member

AlexBerkman

3. jjvaldez thread starter macrumors newbie

dang, thanks guys, I already bought them and live about an hr out away from the Frys... that is a 2 hr trip to return it :( but if it does not work then it does not work.. thanks for the help!

4. jjvaldez thread starter macrumors newbie

hey guys im not that good with ram, what is it what makes this ram not work? the frys guy swore it did.
    thanks

5. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

6. GyroFX macrumors 6502

the ram will probably work, just at a slightly lower speed, which is probably negligible.

if you have installed a compatible ram at a lower clock freq, all other ram installed will run at that lower freq, fyi

7. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

Having spent the big money to get the top of the line i7 3.4GHz, I would recommend that you get the correct RAM. Even if the slower RAM worked, it will impact your performance. This i7 will be pushing the 1333 MHz RAM hard anyway. Slow RAM can lead to intermittent, if not full-on error conditions.

8. jjvaldez thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the advice, ill be using the machine to be working on FCP Motion and DVD studio Pro, i dont want to get in to error messages, thanks all

9. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Yeah dont waste youre time or money on incorrect RAM Modules, it could have performance issues that could result in system issues (kernel panics, lock-ups, etc) if the processor is trying to push its weight through lower frequency ram. your system will recognize it but performance will be hindered and not worth it.

Get the RAM from the Amazon link or through NewEgg:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145281

10. jjvaldez thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help guys, ill be returning this RAM for sure!