Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
hi , i've just bought a corsair ssd force le 960, but i found i cant install high sierra on it, neither on my mbp 17 2011, nor mp 5.1 2010, i do can finish the first step format sdd and first installation, but after restart, the system can't find the first installation ssd, so start it over again the first installation. could anyone knows some solution for that please? thank you.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
When the system restarts, does the progress bar get stuck at about 3/4 of the bar or are you getting the question mark over the folder (or if you start in the boot manager, it doesn't show up)?

If you get a stuck progress bar, I've had that happen when installing from a USB flash drive but using the same installer software, installing using the regular OS, it worked. You might want to try a different USB flash drive or try running the installer from the regular OS. Depending on your system, that may require that you get a USB enclosure.

If instead the system does not recognize the Corsair SSD as a system disk, it may be because the installer failed to "bless" the SSD. There's information on this:
https://bombich.com/kb/ccc4/what-makes-volume-bootable

In this link, if you run the bless command and you have the message "No Blessed System Folder" and "No Blessed System File", then that's the reason it won't boot. If you run the bless command from the Terminal in the installer or the Recovery partition, you should not type the "sudo " - just the bless and remainder of the command.

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
hi thank you for your reply, there is no start progress bar, it's like the ssd is not formated and restart over a new installation.
btw i've tried the el capitan instead of high sierra, it works, it seems the ssd don't take apfs system of high sierra? is that true?

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
If the Corsair SSD works with El Capitan, the SSD is likely OK. In searching the web, I don't see other people having a problem with the Corsair Force LE, so I don't think there is a High Sierra problem specifically with the Corsair SSD.

If you didn't get the folder with the question mark, you probably did not have the bless problem I described.

So to me, there's two likely possible problems.
1) Something went wrong in the installation. You might want to try installing on an external hard drive to see if it works there and if it does, clone the OS (and the recover partition) to the Corsair SSD. This would some work to do and you would need an external hard drive and cloning software. You could also try re-installing High Sierra and try starting in verbose mode and see what messages come up (the last messages will be those to look for) or try starting in safe mode.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201573
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

2) High Sierra has a problem on your MBP. Some people who have the 2011 MBP models with the Radeon GPU have had problems running High Sierra which may be associated with the "Radeongate" problem.

If El Capitan works and you don't have a specific need for High Sierra, you may want to stay with El Capitan or try Sierra. As for the Mac Pro which you have (the "mp 5.1") you mention, the older Mac Pro's seem to have more issues with High Sierra than the other Mac computers. You might want to go to the Mac Pro forum and see if they have any suggestions.

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
hi thank you so much for your explanation, i've tried again to install high sierra, partition apfs, but ssd can't be read as disk start up, just a slave of data, but el capitan work on mp 3.1, 5.1, and mbp 17 2011, so i think you were right, the ssd is not blessed for high sierra, i ignore the raison for now, cause i've bought a samsung ssd, and i can install all os x on it, i decide to use this corsair as a data slave, and i wont buy any corsair ssd anymore. anyway thank you so much. have a good day. daniel

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
If you can install High Sierra on the Samsung SSD without problems using the same installer and procedure then it could be the Corsair SSD. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.