Corsair SSD Upgrade to.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacModMachine, Apr 29, 2009.

1. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

hi guys,

looking for some input,

normally i have a good grasp on what im looking for in technology, i have been reading tons on ssd's and in the forums.
    but im stuck....

i have a corsair 128gb which is a great drive, but i want to get my virtual machines loading quicker, and a bit better overall speeds.

i have a 500gb in the place of the optical drive and would like to replace it to run raid 0.

is it worth me purchasing another corsair 128gb ssd for raid 0...or should i move to another brand with better speeds...if so which brand.

thanks in advance for the input.

2. CTechKid macrumors regular

3. MacModMachine thread starter macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

sorry....wow i must be drunk i never put in system info...lol

macbook pro unibody 2.4 , 3gb ram , sata II

4. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

Buy an intel SSD. Dont waste your money on anything else. Corsair SSDs are decent, IIRC they use the same Samsung drives Apple does. But the Intel drive is significantly faster.

5. RKpro macrumors 6502

The only SSDs worth overpaying for are Intel's X-25s and OCZ's Vertex series drives. SanDisk is supposed to have some good SSDs with new controllers out by mid-2009.

Everything else is either not much faster then HDDs (random performance), or SSDs that use cheap controllers that cause stuttering/lag during writes.

6. MacModMachine thread starter macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

Intel is what i have been eyeing, so 2 in raid 0 ?

also kingston drives are indentical to intel, thus the new firmware will work on the kingston ?

i cannot find the 80gb intels on newegg.ca

all i can find are the kingston 80's

i would like to raid 0 either way for maximum throughput while keeping power consumption lower(original reason i chose the corsair)

can you xbench your x25 ?

that would be wicked.

thanks

7. CTechKid macrumors regular

8. MacModMachine thread starter macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

9. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

I dont know if the Kingston is that same drive, I have never looked into it. If you search for my name in the xbench results you will find scores from all my computers. Unfortunately I never xbench'd this MBP before I put the SSD in.

2 x25-m drives was too rich for my blood, I am very happy with my current single SSD setup with a larger spinning drive for media. More power to you though, I am sure you will easily break 200-220 on xbench with 2 drives RAID'd.

10. tm.chen macrumors member

google for echang and ssd. He got a 17" UMBP with 2 x 160 intel raid 0 setup.

11. aleni macrumors 68020

i have corsair 128GB SSD installed on my UMBP17". it's fast, maybe not as fast as intel, but the price is lower and capacity is higher than intel.

12. RKpro macrumors 6502

I've been keeping my eye on the 80GB on newegg.ca for the last few weeks.

They have it on and off, every few days. I don't know why... And price varies every time. There was price drop on April 27th to 320USD, I'm predicting it will show up on newegg.ca for ~ $390 CAD with free shipping sometime next week. I might pull the trigger on it myself...

13. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

RKpro, your should consider the 128GB G. Skill Falcon. Its a new SSD on the market that uses the same Indilinx controller as the OCZ Vertex. Its only $389.99 at Newegg.ca. If you live in a province like Ontario, Quebec, Manitoba and don't want to pay the PST that Newegg charges, price match it at NCIX.

14. MacModMachine thread starter macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i was looking at the falcon also, how does it perform?

any benchmarks?

the kingston or the intel are my choices i think, the vertex consumes too much power.

ill move out the 500gb and run the intel/kingston and my 128gb corsair in place of the optibay.

15. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

There aren't many reviews nor does anyone on the forums have one. I would expect it to perform equal to the OCZ Vertex. If its any slower or any faster, it would be by so little that it wouldn't be noticed. G. Skill Falcon wins over the OCZ Vertex because of it price.