Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Actually, the implementation of Google Now on the Moto X is pretty good. In fact, an update for the Moto X's Active Listening just added a "What's up" activation phrase that will let you know what notifications you have and read them out to you. No need to look at or even touch your phone. Driving mode is also very similar to how the Lumia's work as well. Incoming calls, emails and text are automatically read out to you if the phone knows you are driving.

That may be true, but it's only on that one phone. Other than that Google Now hasn't impressed me as a personal assistant in the least. If anything many times it's actually counter intuitive for that function.

Are those functions really from Google Now though? I do agree that the Moto X is very nice and I don't know why more phone makers don't follow this lead instead of complete and utter garbage like S-voice for example.

edit: Yeah seems like that's something from Motorola, but it does use google now. Now if Google themselves incorporated something like that it would help with its personal assistant pedigree for sure.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motorola.audiomonitor

Last edited:

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I haven't seen any in Toronto, the biggest city in Canada. We are an iPhone and galaxy hood.

I've seen a few ads downtown but they're usually fairly small compared to Galaxy/iPhone ads.

A few years ago Samsung tripled Apple's marketing budget and that was the year that the Galaxy line really took off. Surprised Microsoft hasn't done the same and just thrown money at the problem.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
Even if Cortana isn't as good as Google Now when it's finally released it's something that is needed and can always be improved upon in updates. I can't wait to see it in action.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
That may be true, but it's only on that one phone. Other than that Google Now hasn't impressed me as a personal assistant in the least. If anything many times it's actually counter intuitive for that function.

Are those functions really from Google Now though? I do agree that the Moto X is very nice and I don't know why more phone makers don't follow this lead instead of complete and utter garbage like S-voice for example.

edit: Yeah seems like that's something from Motorola, but it does use google now. Now if Google themselves incorporated something like that it would help with its personal assistant pedigree for sure.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motorola.audiomonitor

The Moto X Google Now integration is the best I've seen and it's something I'm gonna miss when I switch to the Z2 next month.

The benefits of having a dedicated always-on speech coprocessor become obvious pretty quickly.

And I don't think Cortana will be as good as Google Now but I do think it'll be better than SIRI.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
When Microsoft wants to "get to know you", people call it amazing and can't wait to opt in. When Google does it, people crap all over the place.

I don't understand these internet double standards

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
For a first gen Beta, I consider this pretty darn good and well ahead of where Siri was when it came out.

Check this video out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QML1BVi_C8A

I would except any of these applications to be more advanced than Siri when it first dropped.

MSFT has had plenty of time to see what Apple is doing and improve above the concept.

But to call it amazing? Competitive in theory sure, but not amazing.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I would except any of these applications to be more advanced than Siri when it first dropped.

MSFT has had plenty of time to see what Apple is doing and improve above the concept.

But to call it amazing? Competitive in theory sure, but not amazing.

It is amazing for us WP users watching the evolution of the platform from nothing to what we see here. We are seeing a huge leap forward for the platform and it is pretty "amazing."

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
It is amazing for us WP users watching the evolution of the platform from nothing to what we see here. We are seeing a huge leap forward for the platform and it is pretty "amazing."

Good point. From that perspective WP 8.1 is shaping up nicely.

Lord knows MSFT has been dragging their feet on big updates.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Good point. From that perspective WP 8.1 is shaping up nicely.

Lord knows MSFT has been dragging their feet on big updates.

You are so right, they have been dragging their feet.

Luckily, we have had Nokia to give us some software updates in the meantime. I just hope MS picks up the pace now that they have Nokia's staff.

I can't wait to see 8.1 next month and at least have it on par (feature wise) with iOS and Android.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I can't wait to see 8.1 next month and at least have it on par (feature wise) with iOS and Android.

Windows Phone needs about 5-6 features to really close the gap.

I like Windows Phone a lot, and the app selection has for sure improved. Once it gets some expected key features, Windows Phone will be a real player.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
For me there are some irritants that have lingered since I first tried Windows Phone 7 then 7.5, then 8 and now 8 black..

Things like music application rarely working, can never get it to fetch artist images or smart dj to work despite all the workaround and this has plagued my experience in 4 OS's and still lingers even on my new 1520.

Internet explorer is really quite subpar compared to Chrome & Safari on either iOS or Android.

Not major things to correct but the fact they are still problems with those things through all my Windows Phone experiences is quite disappointing.

App situation has improved a lot over the years (better than blackberry world) but lack of local apps has irked me more so than I thought. You forget often the small apps you use regularly.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
For me there are some irritants that have lingered since I first tried Windows Phone 7 then 7.5, then 8 and now 8 black..

Things like music application rarely working, can never get it to fetch artist images or smart dj to work despite all the workaround and this has plagued my experience in 4 OS's and still lingers even on my new 1520.

Internet explorer is really quite subpar compared to Chrome & Safari on either iOS or Android.

Not major things to correct but the fact they are still problems with those things through all my Windows Phone experiences is quite disappointing.

App situation has improved a lot over the years (better than blackberry world) but lack of local apps has irked me more so than I thought. You forget often the small apps you use regularly.

Haha... Just as I predicted. ;)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Haha... Just as I predicted. ;)

Lol..... :D. Am I so predictable ? Or just obsessive :p

Camera is great fun to use though .. Messing round today ..

image.jpg

Last edited:

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Lol..... :D. Am I so predictable ? Or just obsessive :p

Camera is great fun to use though .. Messing round today ..

View attachment 464182

With the L1520, that's the problem; there's killer features like the screen and camera but there's killer shortcomings like the lack of apps and it not working like a real windows os (windows tablets have real windows).

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
With the L1520, that's the problem; there's killer features like the screen and camera but there's killer shortcomings like the lack of apps and it not working like a real windows os (windows tablets have real windows).

How is that a killer shortcoming? It's a phone. Is it also a shortcoming for the iPhone cause it doesn't work like a real OS?

The lack of apps by 1st party developers is a shortcoming though... agree 100% with you on that.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
How is that a killer shortcoming? It's a phone. Is it also a shortcoming for the iPhone cause it doesn't work like a real OS?

The lack of apps by 1st party developers is a shortcoming though... agree 100% with you on that.

Yeah, you're right, it's a phone; that was not a fair comparison. However, IE sucks on phones. I wish it didn't but it does.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Yeah, you're right, it's a phone; that was not a fair comparison. However, IE sucks on phones. I wish it didn't but it does.

Every single browser I have found on WP sucks in comparison to what you get on iOS and Android. It really sucks. You would think that MS could at least get IE working like a browser should. But alas, it seems that WP seems like an after thought to 8.1 on PC's and tablets.

I have gone all in with Windows 8.1 (phone, tablet and computer) so I am in it for the long haul. Luckily, I have Android and iOS to add into the mix and fill in the voids that Windows has.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ too add re: IE, yes it's the really obvious things that are missing or that have to repeatedly go into settings to change in IE on WP8.1

The way it renders text too in some sites is way off. Scrolling is smooth and pinch to zoom is grand, but the actual interface is poorly implemented.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
The Moto X Google Now integration is the best I've seen and it's something I'm gonna miss when I switch to the Z2 next month.

The benefits of having a dedicated always-on speech coprocessor become obvious pretty quickly.

And I don't think Cortana will be as good as Google Now but I do think it'll be better than SIRI.

Yeah, the Moto X is pretty incredible. I think Cortana will be much better than Google Now if Microsoft avoids the "shove internet searches down your throat" approach. But who knows, maybe they will shove Bing down our throats. Interesting how different people find different things useful, I think Siri is MUCH better than Google Now, but that's just me, and I'm an Android fan/owner.

----------

Is it also a shortcoming for the iPhone cause it doesn't work like a real OS?

Absolutely, yes. To pre-answer your next question there are a lot of areas this is the case, one example might be the file system and ability to transfer and move around files, or to even view your files.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well I have decided to keep my Lumia 1520 - and I have been offered a Google Play Edition Galaxy S4 very cheap €220 so will get that to pad out my missing apps :D (was going to get Moto X but thats €350 and can't justify the extra for a spare handset.)

Question now related to the Lumia 1520 and other Lumia's in general.

Anyone experience weird bugs such as screen going 8bit color style requiring a quick toggle of power button and re-waken to correct, or the odd keyboard glitch where in direct sunlight it looks kind of freaky as if the light sensor is going on a bender ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.