Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

napthali

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
I bought an MBP early last year, and bought the AppleCare just before the one-year standard warranty expired.

Not one week later, the bag with my laptop in it got yanked off my shoulder and went careening to the floor. When I inspected the laptop, there was a ding in the front-right corner where the optical drive sits. The metal is pushed away from the casing. It doesn't appear to affect operation at all, but I'd like to get it fixed.

My question is: what are my options here? I know AppleCare doesn't cover this kind of repair, and that Apple's been known to refuse any repairs on machines that have been obviously dropped. Is there a way I can pay for them to repair it and get the unit "blessed" again, or am I doomed if I try the official route?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I would take it to an authorized repair store to have it fixed; that way Apple doesn't have such repair on file.

napthali

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
Who does that kind of thing besides Apple?

Yeah, that was my thought. I know there are authorized repair centers, but I imagine part of their "authorization" is keeping records on units they see.

What's upsetting about this is that I can't even ask Apple about the options. :-(

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
Who does that kind of thing besides Apple?

Authorized stores can do this, but it would be quite expensive. The way the OP explains it, it sounds like the bottom case is dented. If that's the case then it needs to be replaced entirely which involves removing the entire contents of the computer and placing them into a new one. It would be at least 2 hours of labor and the cost of the part which would be at the very least ~$400 (I forgot how much the bottom case is, but you can expect $100-150 per hour of labor from somewhere).

Apple would do the repair but it would be significantly more expensive as they always charge an arm and a leg for their parts out of warranty coverage. I believe cosmetic damage instantly bumps up the repair in the Tier system that they use. So maybe the part itself costs $150 if you went to an authorized store who repair it, but through Apple's system it automatically becomes a $700 repair or something.

I'm trying to think, but I am fairly sure that if you do get the part replaced by Apple, it would still be covered for future repairs, just not the cosmetic damage itself. But don't quote me on that because I'm not 100% on that info.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If you're willing to put down money, 3rd party is the way to go. They don't have access to iLog so Apple will have no way of knowing of the repair and you won't have to go through any trouble if something else fails.

napthali

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
If you're willing to put down money, 3rd party is the way to go. They don't have access to iLog so Apple will have no way of knowing of the repair and you won't have to go through any trouble if something else fails.

So would I be looking for a non-authorized Apple repair center?

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
No, authorized is fine, no one has access to iLog but Apple Stores and AppleCare if you do go 3rd party, again, AppleCare/Genius won't know.

But GSX, which a service center would have access to, does list all repairs for computers as well. Although, I don't really remember (I'm leaning towards this being correct, though) if GSX listed simply parts ordered, but rather only if the repairs/parts were done under warranty.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
...alum is not a good material to use for a portable device...I believe :apple: did this for financial reasons so it could deny applecare repairs easier...they need to make a carbonbook (strength, lightweight and a cooler running machine)...

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
...alum is not a good material to use for a portable device...I believe :apple: did this for financial reasons so it could deny applecare repairs easier...they need to make a carbonbook (strength, lightweight and a cooler running machine)...

aluminum is cheaper to deal with, if they wanted a super cool mac, you would use copper(or was it brass?), but actually im pretty sure gold is supposed to be the best heat conductor. Ok.....anyway, not gonna happen, nothing but pie in the sky my friend

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
But GSX, which a service center would have access to, does list all repairs for computers as well. Although, I don't really remember (I'm leaning towards this being correct, though) if GSX listed simply parts ordered, but rather only if the repairs/parts were done under warranty.

GSX is almost like iLog but less detailed (watered-down) where the 3rd party can log information, order parts and setup repairs if there isn't a Apple Store near or it NEEDS to be shipped out. It's true that GSX information could get back to Apple (through iLog) but that's if the 3rd party needs to send it out for repairs (in which a log needs to prepared as proof regardless of warranty status). In OP's case, it's not a big problem so I doubt that the 3rd party service provider is going to ship it out and it's something that they could do (swapping unibody). I guess I should've mention that. Obviously if you go ahead with the repair, you're going to be paying for it so you might want to be sure that the 3rd party will be performing the repair and not be sent out for Apple to perform if you're worrying about your AppleCare in the future.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I would take it to an authorized repair store to have it fixed; that way Apple doesn't have such repair on file.

Are you sure about that? I've had several warranty repairs done on my MBP at my university's repair shop, and when I went into the Apple Store in Geneva recently they read off the list of previous repairs to me.

Unless they make a Macbook/Pro out of diamond, a "carbonbook" is going to have major heating, lifespan, and shattering problems.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Sell it, but a new one. If you take it to Apple, or an authorized repair place, you're going to be charged an arm and a leg. Apple wanted $1200 to fix my ding, an authorized repair center wanted $300 for labor alone.

Oh yeah, and until you fix that ding, Applecare will view ANY faults on your computer as accidental damage caused by the ding. I got around it by driving an hour to an Apple store, where the technician fixed my fan... he didn't even see the $1200 ding. But I can forget about shipping it in.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
I believe :apple: did this for financial reasons so it could deny applecare repairs easier...

I don't know if it was a major factor in there designs but I agree that apple uses it constantly to deny applecare. That's why I handle my laptop with kid gloves.

Dell, Lenovo, Sony....All these PC companies honor there hardware warranties. If its under warranty and something goes they fix it. Apple on the other hand seems to try to find reasons not to.

aaronearles

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2009
Dell, Lenovo, Sony....All these PC companies honor there hardware warranties. If its under warranty and something goes they fix it. Apple on the other hand seems to try to find reasons not to.

I did all the notebook repairs at a computer service center for 3 years, believe me, they all try to to find reasons not to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.