Cosmetic Macbook Fix (Picture of problem)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Bobcat16, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Bobcat16 macrumors member

So I have a black macbook. Still works well, and I'd like to hold onto it. However, it has one cosmetic flaw. See below. This is the bottom right part of the macbook, right next to the track pad.

Is there anyway to fix that? Get a replacement piece? Is there a casing I can get so I don't break it more?

Attached Files:

2. crabsoda macrumors newbie

This is a known issue with the casing on a certain run of MacBooks. Mine is one of them (Q4 2007, Intel C2D 2.0, 13"). I was able to find, a while back, an official post from Apple regarding replacement of the casing for free if your MacBook was part of that run, regardless of warranty. I don't have a link, this was some months back, and I never pursued the option, but you should Google it and see if you can turn it up. I was planning on printing the page and bringing into the Apple store to see if I could get it done for free. Others were posting that they had been able to.

3. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

My white MB did the same. Had the top casing replaced back in January free of charge, even though I was out of warranty.

I have read somewhere on the forums that they will only do this if the machine is under 3 years old, but I dont know if thats true. Still be worth a shot going down to find out.

If not the parts are easy to find on bay and its only a 10 minute job to replace it