Cosmetic Repair Advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmine83, Sep 14, 2015.

1. jmine83 macrumors member

I'm looking to do some of my own cosmetic repair on an iPhone 5s and an iPad Air. I have attached photos to show the cosmetic damage in question. The iPhone mainly has these very tiny crater holes in the metal finish. The iPad only has this strange slight brown discoloration on one of the volume buttons. I'm hoping that perhaps some light sanding and polishing will fix this cosmetic damage? I just want to make sure that whatever actions I take isn't only going to result in more cosmetic damage. I'm not experienced with doing this sort of cosmetic repair to a metal finish. Constructive insight is much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Anodized finishes can't be repaired by a DIYer and it'll look like ****.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Slap a case on it and live with it. There's nothing else you can do.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Sanding the area will not match the surround area. It is not a brushed finish.

It would be a very bad idea and there is not too much a user can do to repair a blemish.

5. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Anodized finishes are a form of coating. If you sand it off and polish it, you will have a shiny spot.

Get a case or get a full body sticker. I doubt you can re-anodize the phone without needing to take it all apart down to bare metal.