Cosmetic rMBP display defect

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PaulAtkinson, Jul 11, 2012.

1. PaulAtkinson macrumors member

So, I opened my rMBP base model exactly 12 days ago. So far, this has essentially been a perfect replacement for my 2007 15" MBP.

Just now, I was watching a video with a significant black area, and noticed a defect in the computer display -- less than 1mm divot in the glass that causes the light to refract a bit and appear to be a bad pixel or four. If you angle the display, you can see the reflection bend, confirming it is a problem in the glass, itself.

I haven't touched this screen (it isn't scratched, anywhere).

I feel like I should return it -- but that seems insane on some level (how perfect should this rMBP be?)

Would anyone here return it because of this (and waiting a few weeks for the replacement, of course)?

2. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I had an iMac that we bought at work that had a similar issue. I didn't want to give up the gorgeous screen and wait for a replacement, so I decided to keep it figuring I would never notice it. To be honest, I never do. However, if it was my personal computer that I spent my money on, I probably would exchange it.

You MIGHT be able to call Apple and have them order you a new one, and keep the old one until it comes in. I've heard of some people having luck with that lately.

3. PaulAtkinson thread starter macrumors member

Forget it. I bounced it off my husband.

I have decided to return the machine and get in the queue for a replacement.

This dimple would end-up driving me bananas for the next five years (which is how long I have kept my last two laptops).

4. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

That's the way to go!! You paid good amount of moola...and you deserve exactly what you expected. :D

5. PaulAtkinson thread starter macrumors member

Well, THAT was easy.

I cleaned off the SSD, boxed-up the rMBP and took it to Best Buy on my lunch hour today. Thirty minutes total to exchange for a new rMBP in the box. Looks like Best Buy has these in stock at some stores, even if their website reports nothing available.

6. Naish84 macrumors newbie

it should be just as perfect as your 2300$

return it immediately!

these are the first reasons i can imagine right now:

- you can loose a lot of resale value;
    - the defect could get worse in the future, and it may be out of warranty.

edit: i saw right now that the problem was solved, sorry :)