Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
cosmetic.png

Only Apple would have two screws in a computer that are completely useless - WHY?

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
PlaceofDis said:
i don't think they are merely cosmetic. i'm sure they serve some purpose.

Then why would the *cough* service manual *cough* say that they serve no other purpose than just to be there?

brbubba

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
I would say its to match the screws on the other side. The screws on the other side are longer and are not cosmetic. When I disassembled my macbook, I was quite surprised how small the left side ones were. Although I didn't try removing the case with them in, it seems quite plausible that they are purely cosmetic.

JackSYi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
So there is a balance (and a consistency to the iBooks) to the other side. Which I'm guessing has a purpose? Apple is all about the balance of design and functionality.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
That said I am pretty sure the fans in the MBP are for cosmetic purposes too! To give the machine a more "industrial" look.

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
generik said:
That said I am pretty sure the fans in the MBP are for cosmetic purposes too! To give the machine a more "industrial" look.

thanks for reminding me my mbp is about to burn a whole through my thighs :eek:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Talk to a automobile mechanic about how much cosmetic crap they have to take off before they actually look at an auto part -- that'll make a couple silly screws seem trivial. :eek:

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
celebrian23 said:
thanks for reminding me my mbp is about to burn a whole through my thighs :eek:

Hole* :p

Don't worry so much about the thighs though, a whole through a weener hurts more :D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
generik said:
Hole* :p

Don't worry so much about the thighs though, a whole through a weener hurts more :D
All depends on where you try sticking the catheter -- best to try to enlarge an existing hole than trying to create a new one.
attachment.php

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
well, you need to see ifixit.com manual to take a part macbook for whatever you want. when you take keyboard, touchpad, and all of plastic plate out, you need to get that screws out. it's not cosmetic. all screws or any part on macbook are practically assembled.

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
Benjamindaines said:
Ok... I think I'm done with this thread.

No offence to you if you really did have it removed.

i read this comment first and wondered what happened and went back to read them all... totally didnt see that coming.

Rovman

macrumors regular
May 4, 2006
United Kingdom
it's not cosmetic. all screws or any part on macbook are practically assembled.

Sorry but this is wrong.. the service manual is correct.

Those screws serve no purpose other than to match the opposite side. I have disassembled my MacBook 4 times now and never needed to remove them screws to open it, and when it is open you can clearly see they screw into a small metal "plate" that's there for the sole purpose of holding the screws in.

The functional screws at that side (right-side) of the MacBook that actually hold the keypad in place are inside the Battery compartment. The reason for the external screws on the left side is because you wouldn't be able to get behind the HDD to unscrew them if they were in the same position as they are for the right side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.