Cost effective data options for wifi-only iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BacklitFirefly, Dec 28, 2010.

1. BacklitFirefly macrumors 6502

Here we go:

I have an iPhone4, and a wifi-ONLY iPad. AT&T has one option, which involves purchasing a MIFI wireless hotspot device and subscribing to (yet another) data plan.

I haven't jailbroken since my 3G iphone about a year ago -- but that allowed me to use the data plan I already pay for to tether a connection for my iPad. I am considering that again now -- but I'm open to some other options first.

Suggestions from anyone with experience will be most appreciated! :cool:

2. Eclipse278 macrumors regular

if you're considering buying another access point and paying for data on it, why not just buy a 3G ipad? I think jailbreaking the iphone4 and turning it into an access point is your most cost-effective solution.

3. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

4. BacklitFirefly thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm thinking so, too. I don't know why I even asked that question. I was considering that pay as you go deal from Verizon...but when I already have the iPhone and can tether via jailbreak, why would I do that? Doesn't make sense.

Of course, I'll have to wait for a JB for 4.2.1

Could take a while.

5. tqmcguire macrumors member

I just got a wifi-only iPad over Christmas weekend. I just couldn’t justify paying for the 3G version for $130 more PLUS the data plan. I convinced myself I didn't need the internet everywhere I went. Then Monday came and I wanted to use my Precious at work. No internet... that seriously limited my fun. I logged on to Verizon's website on my work computer. I found their MiFi 2200 hotspot for FREE with a 2-year contract and $35 a month for 3GB of data. Perfect. My wife has an iPod Touch she always wants to use while we're in the car and can't. Now she can with the MiFi. When I go back home to Ohio I get zero AT&T 3G coverage so my iPhone is basically useless. Now it can connect to the MiFi. Just way too many uses, for me anyway, for a portable wifi hotspot when the hardware is free and the cost is only $35 per month. My two cents.

6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

If you live in Sprint/Clear wi-max Area, then consider getting iSpot 4G or clear Spot 4G for unlimited Data for as low as 25 dollars a month. That is the lowest price that I can think of.

7. BacklitFirefly thread starter macrumors 6502

WOW, that is a good deal. I have no 3G coverage here, either.

8. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

wow. $35 extra a month seems really expensive. You got rocked.

9. BacklitFirefly thread starter macrumors 6502

Not as expensive as AT&T's plan for the wifi+3g iPad. With Verizon, you get 3 gb for $35, but AT&T only gives you 2gb for $10 less. That isn't stellar, either. After paying extra for the 3g iPad, there's nothing better about it.

Still, jailbreaking the ole iPhone is even better.

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

With the exception of GPS. ;)

11. somology macrumors newbie

I use ClearSpot 4G and regret that I popped for a 3G iPad. The download speed was the deciding factor that pushed me to find another option, and I had AT&T's original unlimited plan to begin with.

I use Clear with my MBP 17, iPod Touch and my iPad3G.

The travel option is nice to have, but I don't see how anyone would settle for 3G when a slightly better 4G is available at a lower price.

12. poloponies macrumors 68030

And the possibility of popping in a prepaid 3G microSIM in any number of foreign countries.

13. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I dunno what clear spot device you have, but I have iSpot. The speed is great, but the coverage blows in MD. But, it could be different for others. I bought this because of low monthly plan charge. iSpot costs only 25 dollars a month.

14. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

For 40 a month with no contract with virgin mobile you can get unlimited mifi. You have to buy the mifi device for 140 but still, I think that's the best deal going.

15. joec1101 macrumors 6502

Does anyone know what provider Virgin piggybacks on? I don't think they have their own towers, but I could be wrong. If anyone knows, please advise.

Thanks...:)

16. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I looked into getting the iSpot because you can't beat the price...but the coverage in Houston stunk for all the places I was going to be using it the most. Hopefully as they get a bit more well known they will expand their coverage. But I'm sure when that happens, the prices will go up. But I was bummed it wasn't going to work for me.

17. Capt T macrumors 6502a

They are on Sprint. You can even pick them up at a corporate owned Sprint store.

18. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Not sure bout towers, but can buy at radio shack.

19. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

this is great only if you use a buttload of data. seriously, i use my ipad almost daily, but most of the time i can find a wifi connection. i usually opt for the $15/250GB plan and i often let the plan lapse from month to month for inactivity.

20. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

:eek::eek: surely your mean 250mb... 250gb would be nice :p.

3G wouldmbe nice but I'm fine with the wifi I'll wait for the 2 or even 3.

21. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

It works out to $11.66/gigabyte for Verizon and $12.50/gigabyte for AT&T. Not a great difference.

22. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

So, if I go to a radio Shack and buy a $140 device (what is it?), I can have unlimited wifi with no future costs? Sounds like the best deal yet, especially if it works. Do you have this?

23. poloponies macrumors 68030

Bear in mind that "no contract" works both ways. They can raise prices or impose a cap at any time.

24. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

140 for device. 40 a month for unlimited. No contract.

25. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

What service are you using