Cost effective printer for a poor university student

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by daynel, Jul 12, 2011.

1. daynel macrumors member

Hey,

Can anyone recommend a printer to me? One that prints documents and pictures decently, or average. My university charges 10c per page, and 50c for pages with pictures you need in colour.

An inexpensive printer, that won't cost me an arm and a leg in ink (or should I say liquid gold....)

Thanks!

2. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Does it need to be color? If not get a laser printer. A brother laser printer is around 50-75 at staples. Prints fast and is cheaper than using an inkjet.

I have one and it works great with my computers plugged into a airport express to use over wireless.

3. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

I just picked up an HP PhotoSmart D110a. It was $90, is wireless, has ePrint and supports AirPrint for your iOS devices.

I'm sure there are nicer printers out there, but I don't use it often so it'll work just fine. It might be a good fit for your situation. I can't speak to ink costs, as I haven't replaced any yet, but in my experience most lower cost printers are about the same.

Setup was painless, as it can be totally wireless and walks you through the whole thing on the printer itself.

4. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

you might check your local thrift store. I got a brand new cannon i70 a couple years ago for $10

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

+1 to this. What's funny is that a replacement toner cartridge usually costs more than the printer. In this case, take the printer in for recycling credit and just get a new one. You'll find that laser printers last a whole lot longer than an inkjet could ever dream of.

6. dgr macrumors member

Wow that's a great way to get rid of students on campus. I understand that paper and ink costs are high especially in computer labs but they need to stop the ones abusing the privilege and not stop someone trying to get their homework done. A certain amount should be free before being charged.

/rant

I know this doesn't help...sorry

7. Vice92 macrumors regular

As a college student myself, I have been asking this very same question. I have an HP OfficeJet 6500 Wireless right now, and I go through at least $70 in ink a semester (I use all XL cartridges). So I began looking into solution and stumbled upon (no, not through the website =P ) CIS, or Continuous Ink System.

Its basically an ink reservoir that stays outside of your printer, and feeds ink to the printer through little, almost IV like tubing. The cost of ink to refill these reservoirs (one for each color) is sooo, sooo much cheaper than buying actual ink. It turns out that for HP ink, the regular cartridges only contain ~3mL of ink, and the XL about 7-11mL of ink (approximate), and these reservoirs hold upwards of 100mL of ink each, costing about $20 to get a complete set of inks (700mL canisters).

I looked into getting a laser printer - but I need to print in color (Science major) and well, color laser printers aren't exactly cheap, and neither is the toner.

I would seriously consider looking into a CIS. The website I'm looking at to get one through is http://www.inkproducts.com/