cost of entry level 2012 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macpluslaptop, Sep 21, 2012.

1. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

I saw somewhere that Apple may discontinue the entry level imac, presumably the bare bones 21.5" model. Anyone have thoughts on what the cheapest 2012 21.5" might cost? I work in a primarily PC institution, but I've always had a mac desktop at work, and I have a chance to replace my aging system with a new imac depending on the cost. I'd like to wait a few weeks and see if the new ones come out....

The current entry level imac is about $1149 (educational discount), with the next model set at $1499. Would that become the base model? Has Apple ever hiked its basic system $$$ that much?

Any thoughts, much appreciated.

2. Ry. macrumors member

I'd imagine the cheapest (base) model is a grest seller for Apple. No reason to drop it. No one knows anything yet lad, hang in there!

3. fa8362 macrumors 65816

They're not dropping it. It sells more than any of the others.

4. Yamcha macrumors 68000

I think it was Digitimes that made that claim.. Hoping it's not true though..

5. rwcooper macrumors newbie

There was a rumour that Apple was going to add a third member to the iMac line that would be less expensive than the current bottom of the line. Apparently Apple decided to not top go forward with it and that it the one is being "dropped".

6. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I would expect the entry-level iMac to remain at $1199.