Cost of ownership in Alberta?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by costabunny, Oct 26, 2008.

1. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Well I am hoping to move to Alberta this year (tho maybe in Jan now) and want to know from some actual users what it roughly costs to run an iPhone in Alberta?

I think my usage will be checking mails up to a dozen times a day (no .me just pop) and browsing maybe half-hour to an hour per day.

Anyone here actually have this level of usage and whats it cost please?

2. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Moving as in permanently?

Rogers is the only provider with GSM. They have a variety of rates / plans and specific data plans at www.rogers.com.

Do you have a 3G or 2G phone? An unlocked 2G will work fine, but have no idea what they would do with a 3G from another region.

3. costabunny thread starter macrumors 68020

costabunny

I dont have an iPhone right now (Gibraltar has no option for iPhones other than get one on ebay). :(

I want to get one when I am in Canada (moving perm hopefully) and just want a feel for the cost of running it.

4. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I'm in Saskatchewan, but the prices are basically the same (Rogers is the only carrier you'd be using, and it's national). If you get the 6 GB iPhone plan (which I hear is soon to be discontinued so you better hurry and get it), you get 6 gigs of data transfer a month for $30. Add the regular voice package to your plan + any extras you might want like caller ID, My5, etc, and you're probably going to be looking at monthly bills of around $87.00 (assuming you don't have any long distance or data overages - the latter of which is virtually impossible on the iPhone plan).

Edit: it looks like Rogers had discontinued offering the $30/mo 6GB plan. Too bad, I guess it only applies to those already locked into that plan. I'm not really sure I can give you a fair estimate of your costs, as the other plans vary in price and features quite a bit, but I'm pretty sure your bill would still work out to something around $87.00 a month - you'd just get less available data - although it really shouldn't matter. I've only used about 500 megs in 3 months, and I'll probably never use the 6GB unless I was tethering (assuming Apple allows tethering in the future - as the iPhone plans from Rogers do technically allow it).

Just check out their site: http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/iphone_voice_data_packages, and if you're not sure it might be worth calling customer service and asking.

5. costabunny thread starter macrumors 68020

costabunny

Thanks

The 2Gig plan looks ok to me $75 with 400 minutes - that should be plenty enough for me (tho Ill probably get an international package on my home line (to call my mum etc in EU).

Thanks guys :) (now I can't wait to get over there).

6. milani macrumors 68000

milani

No problem. It's too bad you couldn't seize the 6GB plan, but I guess when my contract expires in a few years I'll lose the plan anyway, so I probably shouldn't get too attached to it. I assume you're coming over from Gibraltar? What brings you to Alberta? Anyway, best of luck, with the iPhone, and everything else!

7. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

With most services, once the multi-year contract expires you can "grandfather" your previous price plans over when you switch to a monthly subscription.