Cost of repair?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macguymike, Aug 9, 2007.

1. macguymike macrumors 6502

Does anyone know what the aproximate cost would be to replace the bottom chassis on a 12" PowerBook G4?

Mainly, I want it replaced because of this:

[​IMG]

and because I can't necessarily justify buying a MacBook right now as long as my old companion's still running fine otherwise.

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

About 300.00 bucks. That's what it cost me even though I had AC.
    Here is the part you need and Here are the instruction. Most likely cheaper then that since I had apple do it since it still was under AC

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

You may be able to find parts on ebay to do it yourself. Maybe someone has one with a logic board failure or cracked screen that they are just selling for parts. That might be the easiest way to save money on the repair.

4. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

yea if you take it to apple they charge a fortune for case parts, could buy a new macbook for what they charge ;)

5. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

I used to work at an Apple reseller. I know how painful Apple's service fees can be. :(

6. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome. Looks like iFixit is out of stock, but as soon as they get the part back in, I think I'll give it a go.

Thanks, Reflow!

7. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Well here is the part number so you can google it 922-5651

8. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

This is the response I got from iFixit regarding the part. Guess I'll have to wait or look for it somewhere else. I'd prefer to get it from these guys as they seem pretty trustworthy but if it takes too long I suppose I can resort to eBay.

9. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, I tried Googling the part number and came up with a couple sites that wanted anywhere from $30-50 more for the case, but then I came across these sites:

http://www.ifixit.com/Apple-Parts/G4-Aluminum-12-Inch-867-MHz-Lower-Case--No-feet/IF900-721

Super cheap here but no feet, and the case is dented.

http://www.macrecycling.com/bottom-case-powerbook-g4-aluminum-12-867mhz-p-100301.html

Think I might go with this option. They're $50 cheaper than iFixit and it comes with a 6 month warranty, just like iFixit.