Cost of repairs at an Apple Store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thomasp, Apr 21, 2007.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't really sure where this should go! Mods/gods: feel free to move this thread to a more appropriate forum if there is one.

I have a 20 month old G4 PowerBook with a very annoying fault which will have to be fixed at great expense to me (since Apple refuse to recognise it, despite there being a large number of users experiencing identical symptoms on their discussions) - the part alone appears to be at least £200.

How much do the Apple Stores in the UK charge for diagnosing and repairing a problem, excluding parts? I've had a look on the apple site but can't find anything that says how much they charge.

And no, I don't have AppleCare, although I'm wishing I had :( My family have had 5 macs previously, and not a single problem. Our latest two macs have/will both needed repairs - MBP had the bad DVD drive problem (fixed under warranty), and now I have a £1500 doorstop.

2. Turkish macrumors 6502

Diagnosis is free. Installation/repair can run $175 - ~$375 U.S. depending on how extensive the repair is.

What is the fault that Apple will not recognize?

Additionally, Apple will not install third-party or second-hand parts, FWIW.

3. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

So probably £100 - £300 in the UK then. Can anyone confirm this?

Do Apple charge per hour, or do they just have a fixed rate?

Erratic trackpad temperature sensor causes random sleeps due to the computer thinking its overheating. Basically, the whole top case (trackpad, speaker grills & palm rests) have got to be replaced. It's a semi-intermittent fault as well which makes it harder to diagnose. It only seems to happen when the computer goes to sleep

Here's one of the on-going Apple Discussion topics: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=621013

4. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

Are you sure about that? I had a problem on my iBook with the DC in-board which I never got fixed because I can live with it :rolleyes: . Apple quoted me around $300 for parts and labor when I took it to the Genius Bar. After seeing I could pick up a DC in-board for around $30, I decided to call my local Apple Store to see if they would do install only. I explained to them flat out that I may just be picking up the piece on eBay. They said it would be no problem and they gave me a Labor only quote of $190. This wasn't that long ago either, maybe 5 months ago.

5. bartelby macrumors Core

Apple charge labour at £60 - £70 an hour.

What is the issue you're having?

6. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

See my earlier post: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3570927&postcount=3 :) Essentially a PowerBook that likes to have a nap at the most inconvenient times because it thinks its overheating. Somehow I think if my trackpad was running at either +120°C or -75°C (yes, that's what Temperature Monitor says!), my trackpad wouldn't be working at all!! Or at least I'd have 2nd degree burns.

Stupid technology.

7. bartelby macrumors Core

Oops, sorry I missed that bit.

8. Turkish macrumors 6502

Not in the states, typically. It's a tiered repair fee structure here. Tier 1, tier 2, tier 3... depending on the repair (logic board versus keyboard, versus diaplay, etc.).

And I have never known them to allow people to bring in their own parts and have them installed... typically. How would they warrant their repair?

I say typically, because Apple will sometimes bend their own rules to keep a customer happy. Your mileage may vary.

9. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I just took my 30 month old iBook to have its logic board repaired. The Genius Bar said it would be $280 US plus tax. It's been one week and it has been repaired and has shipped. It's worth the money for that kind of service. 139 British pounds according to Google.