Cost of repairs- cracked fascia

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by redclaire, Oct 26, 2009.

1. redclaire macrumors newbie

Hi

I bought my 13.3" Macbook in 2007, but I think it is a 2006 model. I never got Applecare, not realising the importance of getting it or that I had a limited time to do it!

About a year ago two small pieces of the fascia came off, one on each side below the keyboard. I've looked around and i can see that is a fairly common thing to happen. However, I had no spare cash and never got it fixed. Now small pieces of the fascia on the left and right hand sides of the fascia have peeled off, and there's a small piece on the right side of the screen that is coming off too. I've never maltreated the macbook and in fact it rarely leaves the house so I don't think anything I have done has contributed to it- at least not as far as I can work out!

I really want to get it fixed but I'm frightened of the potential cost. Does anyone have any idea how much this would set me back? Am I better off getting a new one (can't afford that either at the moment but I can save up!)

2. ehpedro macrumors newbie

Hey,

I have the exact same issue with my plastic macbook - just either side of the trackpad. The cracks seem to line up with where there are two protruding "strips" on the lid above the screen. Like you I have never mal-treated it and again very rarely even take it out of the house. I've read from various sources that this is actually clasified as a "design fault" and (depending on what mood you catch them in), they will replace the relevant body work free of charge. I've booked myself in this Thursday at my local Apple store - will let you know the outcome...

3. redclaire thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Ehpedro, please do!
    My local store is shut for a refurb until this Saturday so I can't take it in yet.

4. excommie macrumors regular

For that reason alone, I always install Moshi palmguard. It's a $20.00 investment, well worth the money. It protects the case from being hit by the magnests.

5. ehpedro macrumors newbie

So, quick update for you:

Went to my local Apple store after booking my appointment with a "Genius". Before I even mentioned that I am always oober careful with my MacBook etc he said, yup, we'll get that replaced for you. All for free. Awesome. Took less than 24hrs, picked it up fully charged and also got brand new keys and trackpad. That's customer service for you! Well done Apple.

Hope you have the same luck :)

6. mosx macrumors 65816

This is a known issue with the plastic MacBooks. They should take care of it free of charge. You'll just be without your system for a week. If they don't do it free, shoot an email over to sjobs@apple.com explaining the situation.