Cost of Replacing 3G iphone on ATT in US

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fuzz2008, Sep 1, 2008.

1. fuzz2008 macrumors newbie

Question: How much would a brand new replacement 3G iphone cost me if :
    1) I purchased my 3G iphone in US and have 2 year contract with ATT
    2) Lose/Break iphone before contract expires
    3) Do not have Applecare or other coverage
    4)Want to keep the same number
    To do an early upgrade, the fee is $200 - would this be added to the cost of the phone or would you just have to pay the subsidized price 199/299 + new contract ?

2. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

I don't think you can yet, but I think you'll be able to buy the iPhone 3G for $399.95 for the 8GB and $499.95 for the 16GB (or was it $499.95 and $599.95 - Can't remember).

3. stoich macrumors member

ha that sucks.

Well you can do one of things

1. Buy a new 3g Iphone outright on craigslist or ebay (might cost more money)

2.Add an additional line on your account depending on what type of plan you have the price would vary but then you would be able to purchase a new 3g iphone at the contract price. This would be the cheapest upfront route.

3. Depending on what broke on the phone see if you can find replacment parts and fix it or if its lost well then im sorry lol

Suggestion on your next device if you did break it. There are these protective films that work WONDERS on keeping your Device new! i.e. Ghost Armor, Bodyguardz, zagg. I personally use Ghost Armor and it works great. You should definatley look into something like this for your new phone. Best of luck! Let us know what you do. :)

4. fuzz2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

The hidden $200 early upgrade

Thanks for the quick response - Based on your figures, it seems they are adding the "early upgrade fee" of $200 to the price of a new iphone on an existing iphone contract without actually calling this an early upgrade .

5. stoich macrumors member

I would just add the additional line and pay $200. It would be cheaper upfront and maybe you can use the extra line for something

6. fuzz2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

The cost of ATT subsidy of 3G

Indeed, it seems that as consumers, we have little recourse when it comes to replacing phones that are subsidized by the major carriers - we may as well pay the full price for a phone as the "subsidized" price may end up costing us more, especially when you are locked into a contract whose termination fee $175 is nearly as much as an "early upgrade" price of 200

As far as 3G protectors, I agree, there are some nice ones out there- I have Fullbodyfilms but it was a pain to install.

Thanks again for your help.

7. stoich macrumors member

I imagine this problem is going to arise for alot of people. Let us know what your decision is so others can make the correct one as well. GOOD LUCK :)

8. fuzz2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

Iphone repair service through Apple

I will consider using the Apple repair service
    http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/
    or save up for the cost of a new one :(