Cost of replacing an ipod Touch 4g

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by viskon, Apr 7, 2013.

1. viskon macrumors 6502

The battery of my ipod Touch 4g is getting abysmal by the day. Right now, I get less than 2 hours out of one charge. My understanding is that Apple will replace the ipod for a price. Does anyone know what a ball-park figure might be if I did request a replacement?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I think Apple just replaces the battery and not the whole Touch.

3. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

The cost an apple replacement varies by region (below I have put UK and UK links). If you do a bit of research, you will probably find a decent local company to do it much cheaper than apple. Finally, if you feel comfortable replacing the battery yourself, that would be by far the cheapest option (see here: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPod+Touch+4th+Generation+Battery+Replacement/9829/1).

support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_Kingdom&product=ipod&select=REPAIR_PRICING
    www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/prices/

4. viskon thread starter macrumors 6502

I talked to an Apple authorised service center, and guy told me that they would replace the iPod.
    But he stated that the price of replacement would be finalized only after the service center looks at the state of my current device.

5. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

I have never heard of that? When I went to replace my iPod Touch (2nd Gen) 2 years ago, I think they replaced the battery for $79. But I guess things change

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

£59 or $79 it's a flat rate. It jumps to £79 or $99 if they class it as a repair. This only happens if there is physical damage (dents or chips).

They do not swap the battery they give you a referbished unit (like new) so make sure your backed up.

7. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

They do not. I had a battery problem with my 4th gen iPod touch, got it replaced under warranty. I wouldn't think they'd desolder and resolder a new battery in store. I got a refurb.

8. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Apple is changing policy in Thailand as well. Before, if you buy directly from Apple store, you are eligible to exchange for new if there is problem with your device within guarantee.

Now they will just fix it for you and i think if warrenty runs out the cost for battery is around 79usd as well. And that is for Iphone.