cost of unlimited 3g data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by justanothernerd, May 15, 2008.

1. justanothernerd macrumors member

So with the impending 3g iphone, does anyone know how much the unlimited 3g rate plan will cost?

2. '73-B macrumors regular

It should cost the same. I had a RAZR with 3G data before I bought my iPhone and the data plans cost the same regardless of whether you are using Edge of 3G.

3. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

There were some rumors floating around a week or two ago that AT&T was boosting the price to $30 for the iphone data plan.

If this is true and you don't sign a new contract and simply buy a full price iphone from Apple then nothing will change on your part (ie you will still use the cheaper $20 data plan). This will remain true for as long as your don't change your contract with AT&T .... there are some people on contracts paying 9.99 unlimited data from years ago.

However if they raise the price and you get a supposed subsidized phone from AT&T then your contract will change and you will be forced to pay the new price.

The cost raise rumor was speculative to begin with and I highly doubt they will raise the price of the plans.

4. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

no the data costs will remain the same..
    if you took out the iPhone SIM and put it into a 3G phone and configured it for ATT 3G it would work perfectly and you could get unlimited data access.. it is already available... so there is no chance of them changing prices.

5. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

That's horrifically speculative and, at least with respect to your logic, very unlikely. There are always hardware tweaks and hacks that you can do to bend the rules or steal from "the man," but their existence doesn't force AT&T's hand. If they choose to up the cost of their 3G web service for their customers who use the 3G iPhone then they will, period.

6. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I still cannot believe that AT&T is offering unlimited data for $20. Their unlimited PDA plans are $40-$45. I honestly would not be surprised if they did this. Look at the amount of data an iPhone user uses vs. a crappy PDA or Blackberry.

7. El Magnificante macrumors member

MEdia Net is $15 on my N95. The iPhone is considered a "smart" phone even though while browsing on Safari you can't receive a phone call thus the higher data access charge. :apple:

8. justanothernerd thread starter macrumors member

It seems unlikely to me that AT&T will offer it at the same price, unless Apple places pressure to keep it the same price. Maybe they'll still offer unlimited data for $20/mo just because of the huge influx of customers they have gotten with the iPhone. More likely, though, this is just wishful thinking ;)

9. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

I can think of nothing that would kill the market for a 3G iPhone faster. Not to say that AT&T aren't stupid enough to do it and act surprised when sales slump.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I tend to agree with the "coalition" that believes that AT&T will not raise their unlimited data plan for the iPhone. Since the 3G system is already "a playa" there's nothing "new" being brought to the table other than another 3G compatible device. If they were to raise the price, they probably would have done so with other devices like the Blackberry, oh wait, it's already $30! HeHe! AT&T will maintain the $20 unlimited data plan for the iPhone. IMHO :cool:

11. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

Since the phone has not been announced how would anyone be able to tell you if the price of the data service will be different?

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm able to make this sort of prediction b/c I'm just "brilliant" (LOL) and the fact that 3G for other devices, is already up and running. And Yes, the iPhone has been announced! (I kill myself!) :p

13. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

Then can you tell me what tonight's lotto numbers are? Along with telling me what AT&T will be charging for 3G iPhone service?

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

If you are playing tonight's California Lottery I would suggest: 13 24 35 41 46 with 5 as the Mega number and that should win you about $28,000,000.00 as for the AT&T plan try $79.99 for 3G iPhone service plus the unlimited data plan; did you want unlimited text msg with that package? :eek: