Cost to fix water damaged MBP 15?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DCMDan, Jun 14, 2010.

1. DCMDan macrumors newbie

My friend gave me a 2009 15" MBP 2.4ghz 2/250 that is dead. It supposedly died when water got spilled on the keyboard. He took it the Apple store and they would not cover the damage under Applecare (as expected) so he bought a new one.
    In a worst case scenario, what parts would need to be replaced and what budget would I need to get it back and running?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Worst case scenario is the logic board, which is probably an $800 repair or so.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Worst case? Logic board, keyboard, optical drive hard drive, top case (as it has the trackpad built in). More likely just the logic board. A logic board will be > $500.

4. ryan42 macrumors 6502

ryan42

That's unfortunate for him. I have a 17" MacBook Pro that was fully submerged in muddy water for about 3 minutes and after opening it and drying it out, the only problems it has are scratches on the screen, from the inside out, where I had to separated the panel and scrub the dirt off, and a defective CD ROM drive.

How does the computer currently operate, and how long ago was it damaged?

It could be relatively simple to fix, but the first thing you'll want to do is remove the top bezel containing the keyboard and trackpad and see how wet it is under the keyboard.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

In a worst case a new logic board $800 and a complete upper case/keyboard assembly $300.

Course it may just need a battery or something simple.