Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shagey36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Does anybody have an estimate as to how much it would cost to replace the audio jack on a 1st gen ipod touch at an apple store?

I called but they wouldnt give me an estimate so I was hoping somebody out there could give me some sort of estimate

BraveArts

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
Madrid, Spain
Does anybody have an estimate as to how much it would cost to replace the audio jack on a 1st gen ipod touch at an apple store?

I called but they wouldnt give me an estimate so I was hoping somebody out there could give me some sort of estimate

I take it you mean the jack socket on the iPod and not the jack plug on the headphones?

That being the case, what's the problem? It may be that you can fix it yourself quite easily.

shagey36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
It's not the headphones. I've tried them in other devices and they are totally fine. I've also tried other headphones in the iPod and they don't work either so it has to be something wrong with the iPod.

The problem is that I only get audio out of one ear...if I push the plug in really tight I can hear both ears but as soon as I release the pressure I lose the ear.

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
Have you checked the inside of the jack? Sometimes debris gets pushed down to the bottom of the jack and can prevent you from plugging your headphones in all the way, which would cause the symptoms your iPod touch is exhibiting.

I've had it happen before with my iPhone, and I've usually been able to clean it out using a really thin screwdriver (i.e. a jeweler's screw driver).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.