Cost to repair MBP case?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LoneWolf121188, Nov 24, 2007.

1. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

I dropped my MBP a little while back and there's now a dent in the bottom left corner. The palmrest isn't quite staying down and the plastic bezel is a little bent. Does anyone have any idea how much Apple would charge to repair this (if they do repairs of this sort at all)? The internals are all fine, its just the case.

2. .mark. macrumors 6502

I did pretty much exactly the same thing a while ago and took it into the apple store on regent street, london, and I was quoted £200 for repair. The guy said it's a lot of work because all the internals are fixed to the bottom and that would need transferring to the new case. He had a go at bending it back into place and now there is just a 1mm gap in the corner which I can live with - i spent the £200 on an iPod touch instead.

3. adk macrumors 68000

adk

You're going to be in the ballpark of several hundred dollars, in the territory of "not worth it" for all but the most anal mac geeks. My powerbook looks like it was used as a tetherball and then left out in a hailstorm, but it still runs perfectly. The first dent is the worst, but after that most of us just accept that we're not very bright for buying a laptop with an aluminum case.

4. LoneWolf121188 thread starter macrumors 6502a

With rumors of new MBPs coming out in January, my concern is resale value. I'm thinking of attempting a little DIY. Here are some pics, does anyone have any ideas/tips?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Like I said, its not that bad, its just the resale value I'm concerned about.

5. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

To me, that would affect the resale value quite a bit. I would get the replacement cost if it was around £200 and keep my investment alive.

David

6. .mark. macrumors 6502

that looks a lot worse than my drop! i'd get that repaired if mine was that bad. I don't know if yours would need more work doing to it as the palm rest bit seems to be split from the darker edging as well. commiserations my friend!

7. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

Ouch. Sorry to see those pictures. Hope you get it fixed at a reasonable price. :apple: