Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
AppleCare just expired and I cannot find out of warranty repair costs for screen replacement on a MacBook.

The top quadrant of my laptop screen just went black.

I was on phone with apple and they could not rectify the issue

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Why didn’t you ask Apple for the costs?

For the Air it’s 450€. So expect even more cos of retina.
The MBP 15“ is 750€. I would assume somewhere in the middle ;)

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
I called Apple Support because I could not go in for a genius appointment that day. I was a little disappointed in the phone support as I told them the screen was malfunctioning and the tech wanted to share the screen to see the damage! I asked them what the cost would be and they didn't know. Thanks for giving me a ballpark figure.

I was ready to upgrade to the 2018 Macbook with 16gb ram so if Apple doesn't fix for free I might have to invest in a new laptop. This was the best laptop I have had with the only problem being it was a little slow due to lack of RAM (8gb).

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
in late 2017, I help out an accident damage repair for 12-inch MacBook (early 2015) display assembly and top case with keyboard. Apple quoted was $90 labor charge and $787.50 Tier 4 accidental damage. It ended up $830 with sales tax and shipping charge for repairing a display and top case w/keyboard.

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
The cost is: $475. $375 for TIER 2 ACC DAMAGE, and $100 labor charge. This is good compared to $550 for just the display assembly from ifixit.com and $525 from a local repair shop with good reviews.

I spoke to a manager to explain that YES the top side of the display did indeed have impact damage: the corner metal is slightly bent. But the screen going black was NOT from recent impact damage. HAS ANYONE HAD SCREEN FAIL AFTER THREE YEARS FOLLOWING IMPACT DAMAGE? The screen was not cracked and functioned flawlessly for three years.

I was trying to get to the bottom of why it took about 3 years for the display to fail. He likened it to a phone that had been dropped in water and then dried out. It might function but a couple of months later it will fail. But three years with daily use?

I was trying to find out what triggered the screen to fail while on a table in a 66 degree room.

If anyone can solve this puzzle I will be eternally grateful.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
what answer are you looking for? there are sensible electronic connections to the display which can be physically damaged but still provide some loose contact. maybe from air humidity a slow corrosion happened or just another movement in the this flexible display completely broke them. you will never find out before you disassemble it and look under a microscope.

I once damaged my Airs display by holding it up at the displays frame and maybe pressed it too hard.

but does it help you for the future? probably not...

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Cost depends on model and what is actually damaged. It could just be cable ($20 part). Really not enough information here for a legitimately useful answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.