Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ACST

Suspended
Sep 5, 2016
Yes, this is a good deal. But some caution as a refresh might be pending, as you say. But then any new version won’t be discounted like this for a while.

There where rumors that a 2018 iPad would be cheaper than the 2017 iPad was, so this is a good deal but if those rumors are true then it's only a good deal if you really value the storage.

EssModelsRule

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
There where rumors that a 2018 iPad would be cheaper than the 2017 iPad was, so this is a good deal but if those rumors are true then it's only a good deal if you really value the storage.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the 2017 iPad stays in the lineup for 2018 discounted to the rumored $259 starting price for 32GB. I hope any new models this year bridge the gap between base and pro iPads.

Reactions: ACST and Crow_Servo

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
$299 is a more than solid price for that iPad with that memory. I paid that same amount for a Mini 4 with the same amount of memory earlier this month, so obviously this is an even better deal if you like the 9.7” size. I had grown tired of that size. Too bulky for me.

I think they should refresh each size every other year. Last year’s 9.7” is still going to be fine for a while, but it’ll be nice to see it refreshed again next year to help keep it competitive in terms of performance. Refreshing it this year is too soon IMO. But what do I know? I’m the one who bought a 2015 device in 2018. lol

EssModelsRule

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
$299 is a more than solid price for that iPad with that memory. I paid that same amount for a Mini 4 with the same amount of memory earlier this month, so obviously this is an even better deal if you like the 9.7” size. I had grown tired of that size. Too bulky for me.

I think they should refresh each size every other year. Last year’s 9.7” is still going to be fine for a while, but it’ll be nice to see it refreshed again next year to help keep it competitive in terms of performance. Refreshing it this year is too soon IMO. But what do I know? I’m the one who bought a 2015 device in 2018. lol
I’m still rocking a Mini 4 too, just got it a few years before you picked yours up! Enjoy!

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Hope they release a mini 5 soon

Many is hoping for Mac Mini release as well. Seems Apple is ignoring all these Mini products. I don’t think Apple will ever make Mac Mini and iPad mini. Mac entry price is high, i have no desire on buying Mac ever again.

Hope Apple release entry level 9.7 inch iPad soon. My Costco purchased iPad is closing to end of return period

Reactions: Brandonjr36

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Many is hoping for Mac Mini release as well. Seems Apple is ignoring all these Mini products. I don’t think Apple will ever make Mac Mini and iPad mini. Mac entry price is high, i have no desire on buying Mac ever again.

Hope Apple release entry level 9.7 inch iPad soon. My Costco purchased iPad is closing to end of return period
Take it back there supposedly releasing one at the end of march

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Take it back there supposedly releasing one at the end of march
That could be the patent for the new iPPs coming in June or March, it’d be cool if we got a mini 5, but honestly I see Apple only updating its top tier iPads (until next year.) The 2017 9.7” has great internals that Apple can continue to sell for 3 more years until needing to upgrade the hardware.
The mini 5 makes a little more sense but also not, as with the upcoming 6.6” iPhone plus... iPad mini is essentially useless for Apple to make. *Dont get me wrong, I really, really want an iPad Mini 5/Pro, but the lack of any part leaks or real rumors lead me to believe Apple is not very interested in doing the Mini right now.
Of course I’m probably wrong, but i can see why it makes sense in Apple’s eyes.

I really just want an X style 12.9” iPad Pro.

Kallum.

Reactions: Brandonjr36

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Man these resellers are just trying to move those extra iPads they stocked over the holidays. Its a good steal if you grab one up.

msp3

Suspended
May 9, 2015
A far superior choice is the 128GB (2016) iPad Pro LTE for $399 if you look around on the Costco website...

EssModelsRule

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
A far superior choice is the 128GB (2016) iPad Pro LTE for $399 if you look around on the Costco website...
All I see are gold and rose gold, and LTE doesn’t add value for me. At $399, I’d rather go up to $499 and get Microcenter’s 64GB WiFi 10.5” Pro.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
All I see are gold and rose gold, and LTE doesn’t add value for me. At $399, I’d rather go up to $499 and get Microcenter’s 64GB WiFi 10.5” Pro.

Staples price matched Microcenter and did 110% match so it was $484 before tax. Best deal going!

EssModelsRule

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
Staples price matched Microcenter and did 110% match so it was $484 before tax. Best deal going!
Just what I need, more temptation. Great deal indeed, thanks for sharing. It sure would be nice to know for certain what their plans are for the Mini.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
My prediction is the only Mini that continues is the Mac. It still fills a niche with nothing similar in Apple’s product line.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACST
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.