Costco has discontinued carrying iPod touch 4!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Neebee, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Neebee macrumors 6502a

Was at my Costco and all touches were sent back to the warehouse. Apparently there was an issue with Apple and Costco where Costco was selling the touch at a significant reduction compared to what Apple sells it, so the Costco staff member told me. This is really sad news.

2. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

Costco's discount on iPods was nothing special, and didn't require too much work to find similar discounts elsewhere. The one benefit to buying from them was their return policy.

The Costco folk may have characterized it as a pricing/MAP issue, but most have speculated a dispute over iPad sales (or lack thereof) was the real reason for discontinuing iPod sales.

Costco's not afraid to play hardball, as they showed with Coca-Cola.

They'll probably kiss and make up at some point, but in the meantime, there's no shortage of places to purchase iPods.

3. MsMerryMac macrumors regular

Costco stopped carrying the iPod Touch because Apple refused to l them carry the iPad at a discounted rate, so they dropped the Touch. There are still plenty of places to save the twenty bucks but it wasn't that great of a savings anyway.

4. bruinsrme, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010

bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I can think of many things I can do with an extra $20 in my pocket.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I bought my 8 gb on Thursday and they were all out of the 32gb.

6. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I can't imagine Apple begging Costco to start offering the iPod Touch once more. Them wanting the iPad is quiet reasonable, but it's not like you can find them in many stores. I don't see Costco winning this one honestly.

7. pscraig macrumors member

Costco was also irritated that Apple allowed Walmart and thus Sam's Club to sell the iPad while Costco could not.

I also don't see Costco winning this one, but aside from their excellent return policy there isn't a compelling reason to buy one here.

8. Neebee thread starter macrumors 6502a

^ exactly. that's why people bought their ipod @Costco because of the fantastic return policy.

9. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

I have an 8GB touch with light leaks that I was going to exchange. Now I'll just return it and buy something else with the money.

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

The real reason was because apple didn't want them to sell iPad's while their competitor can, so they decided to not carry anything apple anymore...

A similar tactic happened w/ the price difference of Coca-Cola to them when compared to their competitor a few months back, but got resolved quickly afterwards...

You are wrong and it seems you have no idea of monetary value...

11. Neebee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm. If this is the sole reason then I think it's rather childish, but I guess nobody really knows but the Costco procurement department.

12. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

If what Costco is doing is childish, then it's equally childish for Apple to do what it's doing.

It's a two-way street. If Apple can pick and choose which stores will sell its products, then stores are just as free to pick and choose which merchandise they'll sell.

13. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

I saw an iPod touch 4th gen, 8 and 32GB on Monday.

14. Neebee thread starter macrumors 6502a

everyone expects apple to behave the way they do, i know I do. however; for costco to do the same seems unprecedented.

15. bri1212 macrumors 6502

Apple doesn't want Costco to discount their ipads

The reason Costco is not selling ipods anymore, is because Apple would not sell them the Ipad. Apple would not sell Costco the ipad because Costco would offer the Ipad for sale at a discount, and Apple does not allow anyone to sell the Ipad at a discount. It would have been unfair for Apple to allow Costco to sell their Ipad at a discount, when it does not let any other retailer sell it at a discount. This policy might change later, but it is a normal policy for any manufacturer with a new item that has no competition. And yes, at this point the Ipad has no competition.

16. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

It's not childish at all. Costco is defending its stature in the marketplace. In continuing to sell some of it's portable i-line there, but not all of them, they are essentially letting Apple say that Costco is a second-tier store in Apple's eyes, and Walmart and Sam's Club are first-tier. Costco would rather not carry anything of Apple's than appear to only be able to carry a subsection of the products that a lesser store can.