Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
Costco seems to have good deals on 15 Pros (although they do not sell the 1TB phone, which sucks). However it comes bundled with Apple Care+, which would be great except I want to add the theft and loss protection.

Is there any way to do this? Does the bundled Allstate plan include that?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Costco seems to have good deals on 15 Pros (although they do not sell the 1TB phone, which sucks). However it comes bundled with Apple Care+, which would be great except I want to add the theft and loss protection.

Is there any way to do this? Does the bundled Allstate plan include that?
No way to do it unless you pass on the Applecare+ from Costco and purchase Applecare+ theft and loss directly from Apple. I actually don't even think they would reduce the price of the device if you didn't want Applecare+ from them because it's already included in the deal. Only way to be sure is to contact Costco customer service and ask..

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
I don't think it's even possible to refuse the Apple Care+ from Costco. It's bundled and there's no indication whatsoever that you can pass on that.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I don't think it's even possible to refuse the Apple Care+ from Costco. It's bundled and there's no indication whatsoever that you can pass on that.
Adding Applecare+ from Costco is always a better deal than what Apple offers when adding to a new device so I always opt in when it's offered. Having it included in the sale price is nice bonus

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
Apparently, my Amex card covers theft, but only up to $800, and with a deductible of $50, so basically $750 -- half the value of the phone. I've also heard renter's insurance might cover it, so I will look into that.

Or if there's a way to opt out of the bundled Apple Care+ (do you have to intentionally activate it?) I could just do that and then pay for the theft one myself.

Reactions: Clamjuice65

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
Apparently, my Amex card covers theft, but only up to $800, and with a deductible of $50, so basically $750 -- half the value of the phone. I've also heard renter's insurance might cover it, so I will look into that.

Or if there's a way to opt out of the bundled Apple Care+ (do you have to intentionally activate it?) I could just do that and then pay for the theft one myself.
Unless they've changed recently, Amex only covers loss and theft for 90 days from purchase.

AppleCare+ will be activated when Costco ships your iPhone. You can't stop it.

Your renter's insurance may enable you to purchase a rider specifically to cover your iPhone, or it may already include loss and theft. Check with your agent.

My 2 cents:
Unless I've messed up my math, it's only a savings of $30 to buy an iPhone 15 Pro bundled with AppleCare+ from Costco. Punt on the $30, buy the phone direct from Apple and get the theft+loss protection you want.

Reactions: bushman4

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
The only reason I am considering the Costco purchase is the 90 day return policy. I've posted a lot about it in other threads, but the camera processing on the 15 Pro infuriates me, but my iPhone X is on its last legs. 14 days isn't enough time for me to decide if I can deal with the new camera, so something with a longer return policy may be warranted.

Clamjuice65

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2023

Which Amex card you have that covers theft ?

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
It's one of the Delta Skymiles cards, not sure which one until I get home and check but I read the cardholder agreement over the weekend and it covered theft up to $800.

Reactions: Clamjuice65
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.