Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hokeydays

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2008
I am newbie to all things IPhone and AT & T, so sorry if stupid question.. but will Costco have the Iphone on day one, or at all? I noticed yesterday they sell AT & T cell phones.

Thanks.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I think Costco will continue to sell the iPod Touch and the iPod line, but nothing foreseen for the iPhone. Though AT&T has been selling their other phones, they've not sold or stocked the iPhone. They've been selling AT&T plans/phones during the past year at my local Costco Warehouse.

MV ROB

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2008
Nope only Apple stores and Retail (corporate owned) AT&T stores. No authorized agents, radio shacks or any of the others will be able to sell them. They might change it in the future, but im sure it will be just like the first gen

nparmelee

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2008
Our Costco does sell some AT&T phones, but no iPhone, they told us they likely never will have them. Even Best Buy that is a seller of Apple computers and does sell AT&T phones doesn't have them. Expect it to be just Apple and AT&T owned stores for a quite a while yet.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
they won't have the technology?
wether in store activation is required or not, they will still be activated on computers running itunes

im pretty sure stores that sell cellphones will have this technology

veeco3110

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2007
brick nj
im a manager at costco here in jersey. no costco will sell any iphones. we only carry the ipod lines(classic, nano, and touch) with the occasional other product. (apple tv, occasional imacs)

bcar473

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Tonight at my local costco in California, the Wireless Advocate's rep told me that his AT&T rep is telling them that they are in negotiations for being the other national retailer for the iphone and he says if they announce the contract to carry, they will have it within 30 to 60 days.

At first I thought the guy was full of BS, until he dropped some pretty credible facts, including info about the Best Buy deal, which his rep had told them was going to happen, as well as the fact that Costco is an authorized Apple retailer. He also says that they are talking about either test marketing it in the Bay Area or going national throughout...

We talked at length about the iphone and how he feels that Costco is in good position to sell it, since they carry or have carried in the past: iPod, iPod Touch, Apple TV, and even have carried iMacs, Mac Mini bundles, and even a macbook once in a while. Its very interesting!

Reading through this thread, I would have agreed with many of the comments about the iphone being exclusive at ATT and Apple Stores, but then alot has changed in the past week....

It would be quite nice if they have it, because they dont have activation fees, which would save me over $50 on that alone!

What do you guys think now??

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
I favored the exclusiveness

Being at Apple and AT&T stores was nice, but now...

Best Buy is already on the wagon, so there is no doubt that it's going to be in a bunch of other places soon.

Good for Apple, but meh...

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Tonight at my local costco in California, the Wireless Advocate's rep told me that his AT&T rep is telling them that they are in negotiations for being the other national retailer for the iphone and he says if they announce the contract to carry, they will have it within 30 to 60 days.

At first I thought the guy was full of BS, until he dropped some pretty credible facts, including info about the Best Buy deal, which his rep had told them was going to happen, as well as the fact that Costco is an authorized Apple retailer. He also says that they are talking about either test marketing it in the Bay Area or going national throughout...

We talked at length about the iphone and how he feels that Costco is in good position to sell it, since they carry or have carried in the past: iPod, iPod Touch, Apple TV, and even have carried iMacs, Mac Mini bundles, and even a macbook once in a while. Its very interesting!

Reading through this thread, I would have agreed with many of the comments about the iphone being exclusive at ATT and Apple Stores, but then alot has changed in the past week....

It would be quite nice if they have it, because they dont have activation fees, which would save me over $50 on that alone!

What do you guys think now??

First of all, I would like to commend you for searching.
You are the ideal newbie =)

Anyway, yeah I feel that selling the iPhone at retailers like Costco and even Best Buy kind of hurts its name. It makes it seem.... almost.... less-special, for lack of better words haha. But that's just my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.